1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Children & Teens' started by Raf1209, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Raf1209

Raf1209 · Member

Hi I’ve been recently diagnosed with Type 1/ LADA. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cope during tough times or even simple things like cutting down on snacks lol. Any help would be amazing

2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @Raf1209 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Tell us a little more about your prescribed medication regime?
    Snacking; what choice do you normally go for. There maybe alternatives?

LADA; I'll tag in @Antje77 :)

3. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Raf1209
    Your profile says you are 16, so “straightforward” T1 seems more likely- why are they saying LADA?

4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello, and welcome to the forum, @Raf1209 .
    Are you on insulin already?
    I found it easier to choose different snacks rather than cut down on snacking. Of course I can inject for dorito's, sandwiches or sweets, but I find it hard to get the dose right, so I usually opt for things like cheese, meats, pork scratchings, olives now.

5. Raf1209

Raf1209 · Member

I’m not showing signs of 100% type 1 is what the nurses told me but i definitely had the antibodies required for T1

6. Raf1209

Raf1209 · Member

Thank you and yes I am on night time insulin as I’m in the honeymoon phase currently so i dont need to inject after every meal

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Raf1209

Raf1209 · Member

Thank you :) I am currently testing 5 times a day and on night time insulin because i am still producing little insulin.

For snacks i tend to have some crackers or a cheeky chocolate bar here and there.

Do you usually find you get hungrier more often than before? Or is it just me

8. Little_Lucy

Little_Lucy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I too myself do love a snack. To stop myself from snacking so often I have 4 meals a day!! Obviously the 4th meal isn’t massive but I will have it when I get home from school and it stops me from snacking without insulin :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook