Newly diagnosed

cgm03

I am 27 and was diagnosed type 1 3 months ago. At the beginning I felt I was very supported by the diabetes team but 3 months on I get a phone call once a month from a nurse who take my last weeks readings and adjusts my insulin. I have no where near enough info on diabetes in general and have relied heavily on google! I feel very in the dark and like I’ve got to do this on my own - I’m just seeing if anyone has had the same experience or if this is just because of COVID?

My blood sugars daily are between 13 & 21. When i first got diagnosed my sugars were 27 so they have come down slightly. I’m concerned because the nurses is saying they are so high but then they phone me once a month!

Thank you in advance for any help

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I am 27 and was diagnosed type 1 3 months ago. At the beginning I felt I was very supported by the diabetes team but 3 months on I get a phone call once a month from a nurse who take my last weeks readings and adjusts my insulin. I have no where near enough info on diabetes in general and have relied heavily on google! I feel very in the dark and like I’ve got to do this on my own - I’m just seeing if anyone has had the same experience or if this is just because of COVID?

My blood sugars daily are between 13 & 21. When i first got diagnosed my sugars were 27 so they have come down slightly. I’m concerned because the nurses is saying they are so high but then they phone me once a month!

Thank you in advance for any help

Hey, welcome to the forums.

Covid has made the situation worse but many of us were sent home with some insulin and a test meter and a "thanks for popping in" type of ending to the day.

Hospitals seem to have pretty much shut down their endocrinology departments, my annual review didn't happen this year.

Your numbers are high but it's better if you bring your average glucose levels down slowly. This is because there's evidence to suggest that rapid drops in your overall levels can cause permanent damage to eyesight. So try to relax a little.

What insulin regime have you been put on ?

cgm03

Hey, welcome to the forums.

Covid has made the situation worse but many of us were sent home with some insulin and a test meter and a "thanks for popping in" type of ending to the day.

Hospitals seem to have pretty much shut down their endocrinology departments, my annual review didn't happen this year.

Your numbers are high but it's better if you bring your average glucose levels down slowly. This is because there's evidence to suggest that rapid drops in your overall levels can cause permanent damage to eyesight. So try to relax a little.

What insulin regime have you been put on ?

Thank you for the info I really appreciate it, seems COVID has just effected everything!

I am on Levemir twice daily and novo rapid at meal times.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Thank you for the info I really appreciate it, seems COVID has just effected everything!

I am on Levemir twice daily and novo rapid at meal times.

We can't give direct advice on dosing but there are some helpful folk around here so anything else and there's probably somebody who can help you. Ask any questions you like or join in the T1stars thread if you feel like it

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it unfortunately depends on where you live & how you were diagnosed.

I was sent to hospital by my GP, decked out with an insulin regime, phone numbers to call & a couple of days later a Libra because I was in the 30’s.

I had twice weekly calls with the hospital nurses until discharged to the community team. They called twice a month, referred to a dietician (still waiting) & an endo consult. I had no antibodies so I’ve since had more testing. This is all been since July.

Do you have the number of your community team so you can call to ask questions? Have you had antibody tests & C peptide? If not you can call & request an endo consult.

The problem is they expect everyone to have poor control but it doesn’t have to be that way. I’m in target range 70-80% of the time.

The main site here has a really good learning centre which is a good place to start. Also look into the Hypo programme & Bertie online for carb counting.

I hope this helps

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 3 years into diagnosis but even without Covid I did feel like that handed over the drugs and told me to crack on

I have learnt to adjust my insulin levels depending on approx carb level, time of day, exercise levels etc. Keeping haribos to hand of sugars get a bit low.

I'm also relatively low carb now because it keeps my glucose a lot more stable.

Will the nurses talk to you about carb counting and adjusting your own dosages?

Hilaryf

I had a similar experience- only diagnosed about 5 weeks ago and the first week the nurses where really helpful but after that nothing. I have done a lot of reading and forums to work out how to control my BG. I was the same BG at 26 to begin and now with trial n error running between 5-9 daily with some wobbles. I found splitting my base insulin between 1/2 in morning and 1/2 at bedtime made a huge difference.