Newly diagnosed

Camoo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I have been diagnosed as having prediabetes a couple of days ago. My blood number was 46. I have been suffering with recurring UTI 7 since may, I have also had various other things. Trigeminal neuralgia, dental infection. Am I correct in thinking prolonged periods of infection may effect blood sugars? The nurse gave the usual advice about losing weight, even though I have lost 3st over the past 18 months through diet and exercise.
I think the test may be high because of the infection. I have been told that I will only need my bloods done again in a year. I have purchased a glucometer so I can keep a check of the levels, but need advice on how to use it effectively. I'm confused as to why they would say so long before a repeat test.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Infection can indeed affect blood sugar, but UTIs can be impacted by high blood sugar, as is thrush.
Many of us go low carb to reduce blood sugar, and as you are prediabetic you have a good chance to reverse this.
Try measuring your blood sugar before each meal and about 2 hrs after you began eating, make a note of the numbers. If the rise is too high the meal contained too many carbs for you body to cope with.
I experimented with foods to see how many carbs I can eat in a single meal and how many over a day to set my max carb limit.
This shows what you should be aiming for.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html