1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Newly Diagnosed

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by amediblas, Jun 24, 2022.

1. amediblas

amediblas · Newbie

newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Im a nervous wreck all the time. What should I eat not eat. These medications scare me because I keep hearing how dangerous they are and that ill land up on dialysis eventually.

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

Hi and welcome!

What medications are you taking for diabetes? That will affect the answers you get.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. amediblas

amediblas · Newbie

been prescriped insulin so am waiting for my prescription

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Master
    Retired Moderator

What type of insulin? Just one type or two types? Have you been given a set dose or will you adjust for each meal?

Sorry for all the questions, but it will help you get better information.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello and welcome @amediblas

As @Goonergal said the specific advice does vary depending on what medication you are on and what your levels are showing.

However, to take a step back, when diagnoses it is totally normal to feel overwhelmed and stressed and anxious. If you are like me also a huge feeling of self pity is in the mix too.

It's a lot to take in but you have found a great resource in this site. It will take time but read around, ask questions and you will start feeling a bit more in control.

Good luck and welcome :)

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook