newly diagnosed

daz2710

well I was diagnosed with type on friday the 13th of all days.
I had a glucose tolerance test and the 2 readings were 7.2 and 12.4..these mean nothing to mean just yet.
although there is history in my family as my dad has it so does my brother and so did my mum.
at this stage I am diet control and to go back to the doctors in 6 weeks time for another blood test.
also other than the doctors anyone know where I can get a free testing kit and strips...ps I live in scotland

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hello Daz and welcome :)

Though I'd let you know what I did. I was diagnosed in December last year and using the advice I found on the forum got my blood sugar levels back to normal within around a couple of months or so and I have also normalised my cholesterol levels and blood pressure as well. I have now lost nearly 4 stone in weight too. My doctor is very pleased how I am getting on and has advised me to keep doing what I have been doing since it's obviously working really well. You can normalise your blood levels but that isn't the same as a cure I'm afraid. What it means is that you will need to be very careful about what you eat from now on.

What you should eat diet wise is really easy. Just drastically cut down or better cut out all things with plain sugar, so biscuits, cakes, sugar in tea and coffee, pure fruit juices, non diet versions of soft drinks. Next and really importantly try halving starchy foods like rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, cereals and any other flour based products. Replace what's now missing with extra meat, fish, eggs, cheese and especially vegetables. Vegetables that grow above ground are best although most of us find carrots fine. Things like yoghurt are fine as is a small amount of fresh fruit. I find the ones that end in "berry" are the best. If you don't mind artificial sweeteners things like Diet Coke are fine to drink. On the starchy foods that are left swap try brown basmati rice instead of white and brown or tri-colour pasta. The bread that most recommend is actually Bergen soya bread but some do ok with wholemeal as well.

The above regime is close to one you would be one recommended to try by the Swedish Health service. It was introduced in that country last year and the American health service and several other countries health services recommend something very similar for Type 2 diabetics. In the UK the diet guidelines are now over 30 years old and are only gradually being updated. As the UK is lagging behind you may find what I and other forum members recommend is different to what your are told is a good diet for you follow.

I see you are thinking of getting a meter and strips. That's great as most members would recommend you test your own blood sugar levels. You can usually persuade any of the meter manufacturers to give you a meter and a few strips free but long term what many members in the same position as you are doing is buying a meter called as SD CodeFree. The meter and 50 strips will cost under £20 then new strips are just £5 per 50 which is a lot cheaper than most other meters. The cheapest place to buy is the healthcare.co.uk shop on eBay but make sure you get a UK mmol/l model and not a US mg/dl one or the numbers it shows will be confusing.

The reason testing is important is you should try and keep your blood sugars below 8ish two hours after eating any meal. Above the 8 value is where the dangers of complications do begin to occur according to diabetic experts. So if you can't test how will you now if what you are eating is keeping you safe? The problem is every diabetic is different so my earlier advice to halve starchy foods is just a rough guide. You may find you need to eat less than half (like me) or that you can eat more than half like others.

As you get into it all and read around the forum you may see people talking about carb counting. If you want to understand what that is just ask. It is a powerful weapon that a diabetic can use to control their condition and one that many of us use to great effect.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

Regards

Steve

PS Here's two good links about what's good to eat.

First is the lady doctor who's low carb / low GI recommendations seem to form the basis of what's recommended in Sweden

http://blogg.passagen.se/dahlqvistannika/?anchor=my_lowcarb_dietary_programe_in

Second is a good beginners guide to low carb regimes that are excellent for reducing blood sugar levels and losing weight.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi daz and welcome to the forum :)
Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it helpful. I hope you will get an answer to your question on free testing kits and, any other questions, just ask.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please sign our e-petition for free testing for all type 2's; here's the link:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/petition/

Do get your friends and colleagues to sign as well.

bmurray74

I'm getting more confused by the minute. my gp gave me an advice sheet which said i had to eat starchy carbohydrates with every meal, this is contrasted on here by people saying not to eat any bread, rice, cereal or potatoes. is my gp trying to kill me off?

googlegoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi bmurray74, I've only been diagnosed for four months and only been doing low carb for a short time but had my diabetes check up yesterday and they are really pleased with my bg's. Told the nurse I was doing low carb and she said it was fine to do that. I said it was time that the UK came up to date and followed America and Sweden and she said she totally agreed.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi bmurray74

Like Sue my GP actively encourage me to do a low carb diet. Why would he not when he has seen my HbA1c drop from 100 to 31, my cholesterol level normalise, my blood pressure normalise and I've lost coming up to 4 stone in weight all in 6 months. What you are seeing is effectively why this forum exists for so many of us and why I would recommend you take note of what the majority of diabetics who post on it are saying. If you haven't got a blood meter I'd strongly recommend you get one so that you can begin to see why so many people on this forum will tell you to cut right down on starchy foods.

bmurray74

Hi xyzzy, my gp said when i started metformin 3 weeks ago that i didnt need to monitor my bg levels, but like the curious person i am i have been doing it at least four times a day, it jumps between 11 and 19 depending on whether i eat a lunch or not, so far i have been following the advice given and have been eating more vegetables with things like potatoes, white rice and brown bread, will my diet have to be under control before they can tell me what type i am, im worrying myself sick at the thought or having to go on insulin.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bmurray74 said:
Hi xyzzy, my gp said when i started metformin 3 weeks ago that i didnt need to monitor my bg levels, but like the curious person i am i have been doing it at least four times a day, it jumps between 11 and 19 depending on whether i eat a lunch or not, so far i have been following the advice given and have been eating more vegetables with things like potatoes, white rice and brown bread, will my diet have to be under control before they can tell me what type i am, im worrying myself sick at the thought or having to go on insulin.

Your GP should be able to tell you what Type you are. Ask for a c-peptide test and possibly a GAD test. A c-peptide test measures the amount of insulin you are producing. If that comes back that you are producing a low amount then a GAD test can be done to see if the damage has been done by an auto immune response which has killed off your beta cells and indicates T1 (or more likely LADA or T1.5 in adults) or if the GAD test is negative but you have little insulin production it would tend to indicate you are T2 but that damage has occurred to you pancreas caused by running high blood levels for some while. Think I've got that right but others will correct if not.

The alternative is the c-peptide test will come back and indicate you are still producing a reasonable or even good amount of insulin. If that is the case then you are likely T2 and the cause of your high levels is insulin resistance. If that is the case then simply losing weight (if you need to) will lower insulin resistance and help normalise your levels as the insulin you produce will work better. In reality most T2's will have a combination of some pancreatic loss (which as in T1 and LADA is currently incurable as beta cells don't regenerate) and insulin resistance which can be combated by life style changes.

Now the issue is getting your gp to do the tests as they see them as expensive. If they did a urine test that came back negative for ketones then that signals to them you are more likely T2 and will put you on Metformin and dietary advise to see if you respond. That fact the dietary advise is c**p in the UK doesn't occur to some of them and hence why you see the debate between what the NHS recommends and what many of us have found actually works.

You can test all this out yourself to a large degree. If you drastically cut out all forms of carbohydrate - effectively all sugar including lots of fruit and pure fruit juices plus the starchy foods such as rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, cereals and flour based products then if you don't see see gradual improvements in levels then it tends to indicate a lack of insulin production rather than insulin resistance in my non professional opinion. Level reduction on a low carb regime doesn't happen overnight so for example I started off with levels in the 20's but it took me around 8 weeks of drastic carb reduction for my levels to begin to normalise. I did see steady gradual improvements. What some new members have done to get confirmation they are low carbing is post examples of meals as that will get you a good amount of advice.

The bottom line is you are diabetic regardless of what type and effectively what ever the final diagnosis you need to adjust your life style accordingly and all I and others can really do is tell you is what worked for us. If it ends up you are LADA or a T2 who is producing very little insulin then an insulin regime maybe your only and best choice as it could end up the only way to keep your levels safe long term and avoid all the long term diabetic complications. Being on insulin is by no means as bad as you are currently imagining I suspect and many insulin using diabetics have successfully managed their conditions for decades.

bmurray74

Saw the diabetic nurse there, they're treating me as type 2 for now, she took more bloods increased my metformin and started me on ramapril, I've to go back in 2 weeks for more blood tests then see the nurse again in 4 weeks. Still saying I should eat starchy carbohydrates.

Defren

bmurray74 said:
I'll give it a go but it'll be hard, bread plays a major role in my life.

If you feel you can't give bread up, a lot here eat Burgen soya and linseed bread, I don't eat any bread it spikes me, and anyway, I don't eat any wheat or grains. [mod edit: prescriptive diet advice]

Sorry to be harsh, it really is a case of cruel to be kind, I promise.

Welcome to the forum, sorry it has to be a baptism by fire.

bmurray74

Defren said:
bmurray74 said:

If you feel you can't give bread up, a lot here eat Burgen soya and linseed bread, I don't eat any bread it spikes me, and anyway, I don't eat any wheat or grains. [mod edit: prescriptive diet advice]

It's fine, I appreciate honesty and I know what you're saying, I'm just in a bit of shock as it seems my entire eating regime will have to change, I've been referred to the dietician so I'll take it easy till then.

Defren

bmurray74 said:
Defren said:
bmurray74 said:

It's fine, I appreciate honesty and I know what you're saying, I'm just in a bit of shock as it seems my entire eating regime will have to change, I've been referred to the dietician so I'll take it easy till then.

I agree that's how it looks now, but it's really not so bad. If you have a look on the food forum here, you will see we have our own versions of things. A really good example is cauliflower. We can have mashed cauli, which I mash with a good knob of butter, or grate it and make cauli rice. I LOVE celeriac chips, they are so much nicer that potato chips. Butternut squash is also good for mash and chips. Don't feel you're going to be deprived or robbed of the foods you love, we have ways of having the same foods just low carb. I think in a couple of months you'll think "wow Jo was right, it's not so bad". I really do think you will be absolutely fine once you get the hang of this. Oh, there is low carb bread as well. :lol:

The spiel from the dietician is likely to be a load of balony, I don't think a single person here has come away from the dietician without a flea in their ear for low carbing. All I say is eat to your meter, and then tell me is the advice here right or the dieticians? I know the answer before you step foot in her room. :wink:

bmurray74

Lol, I don't need to be told twice, I'd take experience over qualifications any day of the week, I've managed to give up chocolate, sweets and biscuits so far and I've even bought myself an electric cigarette to try and stop smoking, I was just happy in my wee bubble not having to think about what I was doing but obviously it's taken it's toll and I need to start being more careful or suffer worse consequences.
Forgive me if this is too much information but is it normal to be constipated while on metformin? I always thought it had the opposite effect.

Defren

bmurray74 said:
Lol, I don't need to be told twice, I'd take experience over qualifications any day of the week, I've managed to give up chocolate, sweets and biscuits so far and I've even bought myself an electric cigarette to try and stop smoking, I was just happy in my wee bubble not having to think about what I was doing but obviously it's taken it's toll and I need to start being more careful or suffer worse consequences.
Forgive me if this is too much information but is it normal to be constipated while on metformin? I always thought it had the opposite effect.

Metformin is a really safe drug, but it can cause all manner of strange gastro problems. If you are struggling with it, see your GP and ask for the slow release version. I had hell when I first went onto it, it killed my appetite stone dead and I struggled to eat. I then did the Newcastle diet, and since finishing that, I eat like a horse. :D

Brilliant news on quitting smoking, I don't smoke, and hate the smell of it, and you know quitting will make a huge difference to your long term health.

I am so pleased you have decided to grasp the nettle, it's not easy I know, but I have not felt or looked as good as I do now in well over a decade. I am fit, healthy and happy, diabetes saved me, I am grateful to it, but wish I could have learned the easy way not the hard. :lol:

Keep on keeping on, you'll get there, and your new lifestyle will soon be as normal to you as your old lifestyle is now.

Joanna.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi,

On the bread front people have already said that Burgen bread can be tolerated better than normal bread - you'll need to test to see if that works with you.

If you want something crunchy to spread butter on then I really like GG Scandinavian Crisp Breads a number of super markets do them, or you can get them from the low carb megastore (google it). They work out as 3 grams of carb for each crisp bread and a couple of those with cream cheese and Marmite make a light breakfast for me.

Try going cold turkey on carbs and see if those cravings go after a week or two; a lot of people here feel that starchy carbs have an almost addictive hold over us and as Morrissey said 'wheat is murder' *

Best

Dillinger

*Oh, ok, maybe he didn't.

Scoop4

Welcome to the forum. I get free glucose meters from my diabetes nurse but I'm type 1 and on a pump check out what help and support is offered by your hospital. You can buy the meters at the pharmacy but you may have to pay for the strips talk to your doctor some times you can get them on prescription. Good luck