newly diagnosed

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
welcome, I found it took about 3 weeks to kick in, don't forget the diet and exercise 3 x 30min walks.
for diet, I started with a google of diabetes with carb counting and portion control, a lot also go LCHF low cal high fat

claymac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
welcome, I found it took about 3 weeks to kick in, don't forget the diet and exercise 3 x 30min walks.
for diet, I started with a google of diabetes with carb counting and portion control, a lot also go LCHF low cal high fat
Scared the sh#t out of me I have been working out very intensely

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes, everyone has a panic week, relax take a breath the hard part is over and you finally know what's wrong
575/31 is a bloody good score and could have put you in hospital.
have you got your own BG blood glucose meter yet? http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
google LCHF and too much protein isn't good and you don't have to go mad with exercise, moderate exercise will lower your BG
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

did you have any ketones with the 575/31?

Last edited by a moderator:

claymac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
jack412ketones lost531547 said:
yes, everyone has a panic week, relax take a breath the hard part is over and you finally know what's wrong
575/31 is a bloody good score and could have put you in hospital.
have you got your own BG blood glucose meter yet? http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
google LCHF and too much protein isn't good and you don't have to go mad with exercise, moderate exercise will lower your BG
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

did you have any ketones with the 575/31?
I had one plus keytones what about u

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a moderate BG of 8.5/153 and I didn't even know about ketones back then, but I was in a panic about being told I have diabetes just the same
I was 60 and nearly 250lbs, so I went cold turkey on carbs and cut all grain, grain product and potato and ate spoonfuls of fat to curb the carb cravings

do you have a blood glucose meter? if you are american, a lot get the code free from walmart

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are they absolutely sure that you're Type 2? 30 seems pretty young, especially if you're not overweight, though still possible.

claymac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No im not positive im type 2 but the oral meds have helped some and my doc said if I was type 1 they shouldn't help at all not sure tho

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree age 30 is quite young for T2 so bear in mind the possibility of late onset T1 unless you are overweight. I'm afraid I wouldn't agree with the doc (as an amateur of course!). There is great misunderstanding in the NHS about late onset T1. It can occur at any age and can appear and progress at different rates. In my case and other posters the tablets may work for a while but as the pancreas declines they fail to work any more and insulin is needed. So, see how the tablets go. Gliclazide (Diamicron in the USA?) may be added to stimulate the pancreas. Metformin should have an effect within a few weeks but it only ever reduces the blood sugar a bit. If you find your blood sugar rising despite low-carbing then do suggest your GP does a GAD and c-peptide test as well as adding more tablets. Are you normal weight?

claymac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was 200 pounds about 40 pounds I over weight I have a small frame it wasn't until I lost 30 pounds n six months despite a horrible diet didb I know something was wrong

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App