Newly diagnosed

A

AnnieC

Hi Paul
My husband was diagnosed T2 about six weeks ago he has cut out allsugar stuff cakes biscuits chocolate ice cream etc etc...which he loved....and has lowered his intake of starchy carbs like bread and potatoes but still eats them in smaller portions and he has lost 1/2stone in that time and he was not even overweight to start with . He only tests his BG now and again as his DN told him to so that is all he will do. He is 82 and apart from Polymyligia for which he takes steriods that does not cause him much bother but his GP thought was the reason for the T2 he is in good health for his age very mobile and can still do a days gardening. People do find that to manage their diabetes it has to be customised to their own life style, age and excercise level as everyone is different but you will soon find out what foods suit you best to keep your BG levels good so good luck and I am sure you will be fine

Reactions: 2 people

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Hello @TallPaul

It is carbs that send us high, and I think whole meal is a waste of time and is like eating wheat flour and the paper bag it comes in, you still ate the carbs.

There are a lot of alternatives to wheat flour so why bother with it.

A

AnnieC

Taken the advice on board and just ordered myself a meter.
Noticed for the first time today feeling light headed because i hadn't eaten. Changed what i've done for the past 2 days as i thought it may be a better way to spread the carbs! Mon/Tue i had carbs at breakfast and lunch (porridge/ham sandwich made with wholemeal seeded bread) and then salad with chicken for dinner. Today i had the salad (mackerel for a change) at lunchtime and the sandwich at dinner time. Felt better after the sandwich but not sure if this down to the diabetes or i was just hungry?
Try having Bergen Linseed and Soya bread this is much better than wholemeal and a lot here including myself have that

tallpaul69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
I will swap breads Annie next time i shop. Thanks for the tip

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
Try having Bergen Linseed and Soya bread this is much better than wholemeal and a lot here including myself have that
Why is Bergen much better Annie?
According to my rough notes (which can be wrong, for instance I spell Bergen, Burgen) a Bergen (400g loaf) per slice has 12g carbs of which 2.4g are sugars; 4.4g fat of which sats are 0.6g. Morisson's 400g wholemeal per slice - 11g carbs of which 0.8g are sugars and 0.4g fat with no sats.

Some of that doesn't surprise me, the Bergen is a thicker slice (I'll weigh them next time)

Of course these are averages and according to the manufacturer's labels and it may be that other ingredients (linseed, flax) may make it better - that's my question really...

J.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
I am trying to chase down a supplier of gluten to mix with coconut flour to make a bread thing with yeast and a bit of real sugar (needed for the yeast to work)

So far I have been up one dead end but I have emailed a local miller, no reply yet. tho.

I have done a good deal on coconut flour 11.2 KG for $7 per KG I have to pick it p next week locally (in Brisbane )

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @jack412 they are temp out of stock but they want $10 freight out of Sydney a Brisbane supplier would be better. I thought I had one but they have dropped it.

I am getting 11.2KG of coconut flour for $7 KG so all I need is a gluten supplier at a good price. I have no idea how much gluten flour per coconut flour.

The pretend sugar is as dear as poison too.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was more the brand I was giving you, there would be local distributors @forge

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is Bergen much better Annie?
According to my rough notes (which can be wrong, for instance I spell Bergen, Burgen) a Bergen (400g loaf) per slice has 12g carbs of which 2.4g are sugars; 4.4g fat of which sats are 0.6g. Morisson's 400g wholemeal per slice - 11g carbs of which 0.8g are sugars and 0.4g fat with no sats.

Some of that doesn't surprise me, the Bergen is a thicker slice (I'll weigh them next time)

Of course these are averages and according to the manufacturer's labels and it may be that other ingredients (linseed, flax) may make it better - that's my question really...

J.

I don't use Burgen. I eat Hovis Seed Sensations Wholemeal. It has 14 carbs per slice, 109 cals, 5g protein, 3g fat, 6g fibre. It is packed full of 7 different sorts of seeds and very tasty. The slices are thick.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What I like about the bergen linseed and soya is one slice provides me with 50% of my needed omega 3.

tallpaul69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Can someone tell me what a fasting BG is please? Did my first test this morning before breakfast and it was 9.2, just retested and its 7.4. Thats good right? Breakfast was a small bowl of porridge made with unsweetened soya milk (i'm diary and lactose intolerant too!). Im not feeling well at the mo and have a chesty cough on top, would this affect the results? Many thanks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone tell me what a fasting BG is please? Did my first test this morning before breakfast and it was 9.2, just retested and its 7.4. Thats good right? Breakfast was a small bowl of porridge made with unsweetened soya milk (i'm diary and lactose intolerant too!). Im not feeling well at the mo and have a chesty cough on top, would this affect the results? Many thanks.

A fasting BG is what it says. A BG reading taken after fasting overnight. To get the most out of it, it is often best to test immediately before you go to bed, then immediately you get up (no pottering about beforehand other than hand washing. If there is a significant rise, then your liver has probably dumped some glucose in to your system. This is known as the Dawn Phenomenon, a completely natural event there is little you can do about.

I find it a little odd you should drop from 9.2 to 7.4 after breakfast. What time did you test after breakfast? 1 hour? 2 hours?

tallpaul69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Right, will do a fasting test tonight then. Effectively my pre breakfast test was the morning after as i got up and ate. Post test was a little over 2hrs after.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I don't use Burgen. I eat Hovis Seed Sensations Wholemeal. It has 14 carbs per slice, 109 cals, 5g protein, 3g fat, 6g fibre. It is packed full of 7 different sorts of seeds and very tasty. The slices are thick.
We have both of these - bought both to try them out - prefer the Burgen one as its a bit more solid and filling. I couldn't find one in our supermarket that was as low as Burgen, but the Burgen works out fine...only have about 1 or 2 slices a week anyway.