Newly(ish) Diagnosed

Cammy

Dislikes
Pasta, eggs, liver, kidney
Hello there People

First off a few details. I'm cracking 50, 5'6" 11 stone and smoke like a laboratory Beagle :oops:

I went for my 2 yearly medical in August and was told that my blood/sugar was way too high and was asked if I was diabetic. No says I, it'll be for the same reason as two years ago, far too much Lucozade prior to my medical. Not good enough was the response, you'll have to see your own doctor and get sorted. No fitness medical = no job :(

I see my own doctor (well one of the 6 in the local practice) and have a blood test arranged. Phone call the following Friday stating that I'm diabetic and need another blood test. Duly done.

Next thing there's a phone call saying that my prescription is ready for collection.

So I start on the meds as prescribed and make another appointment with the docs as no follow up had been made for me.

This doctor didn't know about the diagnosis and was more interested to hear that prior to this point in life that it was not unusual for me to quaff upwards of 40 pints a week and that I needed another blood test to check the liver function which is not until next month.

I hope I've managed to also get an appointment with the local clinic but I'm waiting to hear back.

The doc asked for a quick urine sample to quickly check and was pleased to say that my sugar level was normal. Bloody good eh, after only 6 days med the levels are back to normal :D .

You'll be pleased to know that I've been off the beer since prior to the first test and I can't say I'm really bothered, but the bloody food issue is a pain in the butt.

There's more, like the high cholesterol, constant hunger with the new self imposed diet (not even sure if cutting out all the stuff I have is actually really good for me) and craving for full fat coke and chocolate

Sorry to be so long winded but I don't have anyone else to talk to this about :oops:

Cheers

Cammy

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As Tubs has said, it's shocking that you were simply given a prescription and no advice, but that may have saved you from the "eat plenty of complex carbs" rubbish that's often given out. So you figured out for yourself that it's all about diet. Since sugars and starches convert to blood sugar, these are the things you can do without. Totally without if you wish. Your brain will not run out of fuel without these foods. They are merely empty calories which taste nice.
You could go to the full Atkins diet if you wish, but you don't seem to be very over weight. It also corrects blood sugars.
If you try this approach for a week, the gradually add in stuff to see what you can handle . Get a Meter. Most suppliers will hand them out free, or nearly so. Contact a supplier, and ask. I suggest Abbott Diabetes Care for the Freeestyle Meters. Phone mumber on their website. Or try the Diabetes Uk website to see if they're giving any freebies at the moment. A non-diabetic blood glucose is around 5. that's where to aim for. Your doctor may well tell you it's not in your interests to test, but ignore that, It's a PCT money saving ploy.
You'll have a lot to learn in a short time. So keep coming back to us. there's bound to be someone here who can answer pretty much any question.
Be aware, some of us are a little controversial, but it's in our own interests to get this right as we're all patients or carers.
Incidentally what was the prescription for?
If Metformin, It can give you the "tummy rumbles". It helps to take it in the middle of a meal.

Cammy

Dislikes
Pasta, eggs, liver, kidney
Well since my last post, bloody busy at work and no internet connection in the evenings, it looks like I've been a good boy.

What I didn't tell you about earlier was my diet prior to diagnosis.

Monday to Friday I work in Aberdeen then have the weekends at home in the borders. The week in Aberdeen diet usually consisted of

Breakfast - Rowie (butter,lard, soft brown sugar, flour, dried yeast, water &salt)
Cup of tea.

Lunch - Whatever the works canteen was serving,

Tea/supper - Very rarely ate after work unless getting it on expenses say twice a month.

Daily liquid intake - minimum of 10 cups of tea, black no sugar. 1ltr bottle of Lucozade per day and maybe a couple of 500ml bottles of full fat coke. 8-10 cans of lager every night.

Home diet

Breakfast . Depended really. Maybe a packet of Nairns (6) oatcakes with cheese plus constant cups of tea

Lunch - Ham roll.

Tea/Supper. Whatever was on the go, usually served with chips and hardly any veg.

Liquid intake - Over the weekend it was easy for me to go through up to 4-5 ltrs of Lucozade/coke and the beer intake was the same.

Now I'm trying to follow the low carb route after reading the advice on here and don't seem to be to bothered now.

Breakfast - fresh fruit

Lunch - green salad with cold meat

Tea/supper - meat/fish grilled/Georged or baked with a large green salad

Snacks - handfull of peanuts, prawns, lots of fruit, cheesy strings

Drinks - Tea,(copious quantities) Fanta Zero (thanks for the advice :D ) maybe a bottle every other day. G & slimline tonic (just a couple honest).

Do I feel different? Hard to say really, well cutting out the beer and actually eating in the evenings has made a difference in my routine. I've lost a bit of weight and that's about it.

I couldn't tell you what any of my figures are as I wasn't told by the Doc, but like I said before, 1 week on the meds (metformin 500gm x 2 and a statin of some sort daily) and my numbers were "normal" according to the Doc.

Anyhoo, my question is, how, after 25 years of no exercising, how do you get up off your behind :mrgreen:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I walk.
Every part of the country has Health Walk Groups. Find the one near you and join. It's social and good for you.
You say you live in the Borders. that's such gorgeous walking country, there must be groups And now that the sun is probably doing about a 9 - 5 day in Aberdeen, you might find a group that walks in the city in the evenings.
I also do aqua-aerobics. I'm not clear if you are male or female from your post, but I'm guessing male.
There are fewer men than women doing aqua-aerobics classes.But there are some. My group is made up of "oldies", aged late 50s up to late 70s and there are 5 regular male members among about 20 women. It's very sociable and we can all do exercises in the pool we couldn't do on land.