News Topic on Diabetes.

Trinkwasser

LittleSue said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7773146.stm

It'll be interesting to see if the gene variant mentioned in this article (which they think leads people to eat more calories) turns out to be linked to the type 2 diabetes genes, hence obesity appearing to cause type 2 diabetes.

Good point, the various currently known Type 2 diabetes genes appear to affect around 30% of the population so there's obviously going to be a large population with both diabetic genes and this gene together.

sixfoot

today 11/01/09 Sunday Express page 12 : THE GRANDAD DIET On ititial reading it was HOORAY - "fat is not the enemey". The message has got home. But read further They even say "it is sugar not fat". They cite a meal plan which shows a raised fat content and Carbohydrate favourites. Any one guess the outcome ??

iN MY HONEST OPINION THE MESSAGE MAY BE GETTING THROUGH BUT THEY`VE FOUND A NEW WAY TO MAKE SURE IT TAKES LONGER TO GET THERE.

Dave P

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
sixfoot said:
Daily Mail 9/6/8 page 33. Article on Foods that make you look Younger"

Mounting evidence suggests that high levels of circulaiting insulin caused by a diet of high glycemic index (gi) foods such as corn flakes, white rice, and refined breads may cause an inflammatory response that can damage cells This process is what experts now believe could be a major cause of premature ageing of the skin", Their recomendation is to go Lo GI all bran, muesli , porridge.

Fergus you may have a comment or two

Dave P
I dont beleive this because i have had type 1 for over 38 years i am in fifties and people cannot believe how old i am.Everyone says i look at least 10 years younger then i am and say it must be all the good food i eat.

Trinkwasser

mirziana said:
so, actually, what cause diabetes? can it be cure?

Poor choice of grandparents.

Type 1 is usually an autoimmune attack, often caused by a virus infection, there's a comparatively low genetic component, although some families have a cluster of many different autoimmune diseases including Type 1.

There is currently no cure as the pancreatic beta cells are destroyed.

Type 2 is much more genetic looking at familial incidence and twin studies, one theory is the "thrifty gene" which enables people to survive famines by being economical with their food but causes them to be "poisoned" by feasts such as our current high carb diets.

This is also not curable but is a progressive disease often over many years and by careful use of diet and exercise, and medication when required, it's certainly possible to slow the progression and maybe even stop it, and reverse many of the symptoms. But it never actually goes away, just comes under control.

Various "cures" are probably ten years away. But they've been promising that for the last twenty years . . .

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi LittleGreyCat,
If you are on statins because you have high cholesterol then you can drastically lower your cholesterol level by changing to a low-carb diet. Better than statins and the only side effects are that you end up slimmer, feel fitter and have more energy.

Alternatively, if you are one of the millions who are now taking statins because the government is paying a bonus to GPs to get as many people as possible onto them, regardless of whether or not they are actually needed and despite that fact that statins are believed to have very limited benefits, then I guess you already know the answer!

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
The Beeb carried a big news item today on the rise in cases of obesity and type-2 diabetes.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7905734.stm

Interesting though that the figures relate to the period 1996 to 2005, so why are they only being debated in 2009? Is this another case of nothing much happening today so lets see what we can resurrect out of the archives? Or is this yet another attempt by the government to show type-2 as being totally self-inflicted?

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
oops didn't noticed this topic so posted a new one about the news stories today, just tried to delete it to avoid duplication!

Yes that is a long delay, I wouldn't have thought it would take them that long to get the figures?

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
Here is a study that suggests that lack of enough sleep can lead to type 2 diabetes. Perhaps people who lack sleep are less active than they would be if they were not tired a lot of the time. I think more research here may be useful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... betes.html

Aadrgon

samcogle said:
But I sleep for England. Wasn't there once something in the news that said too much sleep causes diabetes?

The bottom line is

No matter what you do "IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT AND IT'S COSTING THE NHS MONEY" :lol:

samcogle

Aadrgon said:
samcogle said:
But I sleep for England. Wasn't there once something in the news that said too much sleep causes diabetes?

The bottom line is

No matter what you do "IT'S YOUR OWN FAULT AND IT'S COSTING THE NHS MONEY" :lol:
it is my fault and can I just admit that global warming is also my fault. I have paid my taxes and NI for the last 25 years and I just wanted a rebate :)
Has anyone done any research into having a brain may cause diabetes? Might try and get a research grant for it!

Aadrgon

samcogle said:
Has anyone done any research into having a brain may cause diabetes?

You've got a brain !!! well no wonder you're costing the NHS money - you're not following the doctors orders - get it removed immediately !! :lol: :lol:

Sorry derailing again :)

samcogle

Aadrgon said:
samcogle said:
Has anyone done any research into having a brain may cause diabetes?

You've got a brain !!! well no wonder you're costing the NHS money - you're not following the doctors orders - get it removed immediately !! :lol: :lol:

Sorry derailing again :)
That'll be your brain derailing this then...see brains are dangerous. Anyway apologies for derailing too. I am off to the docs for a labotomy :D