newstatesman T2D lifestyle choice

S

serenity648

my husband, 52 years old, has never yet been offered a health check. Maybe its different in Wales?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
my husband, 52 years old, has never yet been offered a health check. Maybe its different in Wales?

Possibly. Is Wales devolved as far as Local Government Authorities are concerned? If so, the legislation won't affect Wales. They have to make their own laws. If not, then the legislation applies. It isn't NHS legislation, it is Local Government responsibility.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Use me as an example and tell him to hotfoot it to gp and get one because I have had years of ill health because Coventry have not offered me one. Then never ever trust the receptionists that block access to the GP and assure us we will be contacted if the results show anything of concern. They could have told me I was pre diabetic. My gp does participate in clinical trials into diabetes and I do wonder if that was the reason why.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Use me as an example and tell him to hotfoot it to gp and get one because I have had years of ill health because Coventry have not offered me one. Then never ever trust the receptionists that block access to the GP and assure us we will be contacted if the results show anything of concern. They could have told me I was pre diabetic. My gp does participate in clinical trials into diabetes and I do wonder if that was the reason why.

Which is why I bang on and on to all newbies to get print outs. Seeing the results in black and white and analysing them yourself provides dividends. We have all been told all is "fine", "OK" etc because we are within the normal range when we could be teetering on the edge of not being. I have print outs going back several years and examine them with a fine tooth comb. I'm not just talking blood glucose stuff, but all the other tests we have. I don't need them now because mine are on-line.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Which is why I bang on and on to all newbies to get print outs. Seeing the results in black and white and analysing them yourself provides dividends. We have all been told all is "fine", "OK" etc because we are within the normal range when we could be teetering on the edge of not being. I have print outs going back several years and examine them with a fine tooth comb. I'm not just talking blood glucose stuff, but all the other tests we have. I don't need them now because mine are on-line.
Good tip. I wish I had but the receptionists just have a litany of responses which end up going in circles and at the time my objective was to get my glaucoma drugs as prescribed by the hospital. I have had to get the hospitals to intervene on a number of occassions. Then there was the "save the NHS money" bs as they tried to make drops with strongly worded advisory notice to replace after 28 days last 2 months. With the refusal to prescribe more than a few days ahead that meant i was regularly using them for 6 weeks instead of 4. Now i take 22 eye drops a day and will have to have an operation when they cease to hold the pressures. False economy and all because the system allows it to happen and does not ensure there are gp's in place when they built large housing projects.
I have told the kids to make sure they ask for an hba1c if they need a blood test and if it ever gets above 31 to act. Looking at the 50 shades of diabetes chart it shows damage is already being done by the time we get to the pre diabetes range. Their gp's might refuse to do the test but I have made sure they have a good idea of what the early signs of diabetes and glaucoma are.