Next step if Metformin is toooo painful to continue?

Marjiepoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have now had Metformin for 3 weeks, then Metformin SR due to the problems I had with the original, not much better with the SR one in the 4th week.
What has anyone changed to with feeling so rubbish on Metformin. I was feeling fine before going on drugs..................... .
It took 2 months before my insides settled down when I started Metformin. Then all was well and has been for 2 years.

inna

I would be very cautious about going onto a drug that is new, because often they only find out about some of the side effects and risks after people have suffered through them. Older drugs are often better because the pros and cons are well known and you can make an informed decision. It's a myth that there is a new drug that "takes over from" metformin. Might be some marketing by a drug company there. Metformin is the only drug available that does what it does. If you can't tolerate metformin then your options are to reduce your BGs through changing what you eat, and/or considering the pros and cons of the various other drugs available.

If you would like some ideas on how to stabilise your BGs, lose weight, and get the best treatment for your other issues, you might want to start a new thread so we can give your specific needs some attention, and you have all the info in one place.

inna

I have been taking Metformin for 8 years moderate muscle cramps but not in my stomach. I have taken sitaglyptin but changed to Gliclazide. I tried to change to suit the CAA flying medical requirement (PPL). But stopped flying in the end, but may take it up again once I change my tablets. I have stopped taking simvastatin though after quite a few years of feeling down slightly depressed in the am. Since I have stopped I feel better don't know if anyone else found that with simvastatin's. Plus I have recently read that they can prematurely age a person and they restrict stem cells from repairing. I really have no idea if this is true but as my cholesterol is ok at present I will give them a rest.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've been on Metformin for over 7 years now and complained to the GP, Pharmacist, and Diabetic Sister that I was getting dreadful stomach cramps quite often. Was always fobbed off with "Oh it's gastric reflux dear. Take a Gaviscon!" Finally someone did listen to me in October 2014 and the Diabetic Sister prescribed the moderate release Matformin. Although the stomach cramps improved to a standard of a slight discomfort, I started to get psoriasis all over my body and scalp. Then my GP noticed that my liver was seriously inflamed so sent me for an abdominal ultrasound. The Hospital found I had a gallstone and seem to side track my GP into wanting to have my gallbladder removed but the Surgeon wrote to her and said he thought it was the Metformin causing the problem. No one ever picked up on his letter and I have had to discover the problem for myself. Having had more blood tests yesterday the local surgery have been given the task to either reduce the dose or put me on something else and they have promised me that most of my health will return, however it is debatable if the neuropathy can be cured. The nurse was telling me that she had just been introduced to a new drug that takes over from Metformin and the only side effect is that it makes you urinate much more. (Am I going to be confined to my home if I'm on that one?) I want to continue losing weight for which my previous GP gave me Sitagliptine rather than Gliclazide. does anyone know of this new drug and how safe it is?
Hi Lorraine.
I'm on canagliflizin 100g and it works for me. It's been on the market about 18mths. I was warned side affect is urining more and possible thrush or water infection. For me that all comes part in parcel with diabetes for me since I was 6yr old anyway. I'd been suffering thrush for 2 and a half years even on metformin, sitagliptin and glaclizide.
I currently have no side affects. Maybe the 300g would?
I do urinate alot but I've increased my water intake due to increased swimming sessions and advice slip.
I'm losing weight too.
I take it on a morning with my thyroxine and blood pressure tablet. I've been on it for more than a month.
No upset tummy or thrush for me. :) :) :)

lainewhite

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been on Metformin for over 7 years now and complained to the GP, Pharmacist, and Diabetic Sister that I was getting dreadful stomach cramps quite often. Was always fobbed off with "Oh it's gastric reflux dear. Take a Gaviscon!" Finally someone did listen to me in October 2014 and the Diabetic Sister prescribed the moderate release Matformin. Although the stomach cramps improved to a standard of a slight discomfort, I started to get psoriasis all over my body and scalp. Then my GP noticed that my liver was seriously inflamed so sent me for an abdominal ultrasound. The Hospital found I had a gallstone and seem to side track my GP into wanting to have my gallbladder removed but the Surgeon wrote to her and said he thought it was the Metformin causing the problem. No one ever picked up on his letter and I have had to discover the problem for myself. Having had more blood tests yesterday the local surgery have been given the task to either reduce the dose or put me on something else and they have promised me that most of my health will return, however it is debatable if the neuropathy can be cured. The nurse was telling me that she had just been introduced to a new drug that takes over from Metformin and the only side effect is that it makes you urinate much more. (Am I going to be confined to my home if I'm on that one?) I want to continue losing weight for which my previous GP gave me Sitagliptine rather than Gliclazide. does anyone know of this new drug and how safe it is?

Like you doctors and hospital did not believe me when I said Metformin upset my digestive system. However I kept a diary for 3 months and they finally put me on gliclazide. Last year they said the gliclazide wasn't working anymore and I was put on Insulin. It has not been a good experience for me. Even after 2 years my sugars are still not controlled properly.

henrytt

I have now had Metformin for 3 weeks, then Metformin SR due to the problems I had with the original, not much better with the SR one in the 4th week.
What has anyone changed to with feeling so rubbish on Metformin. I was feeling fine before going on drugs..................... .
If you do get to your doctors, you should ask about the Xpert course http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/ which some of the more proactive health authorities put diabetics on. It is an excellent course and you would gain a great deal from it especially as a recently diagnosed diabetic. I went on it 12 months ago and within 3 months got my HBa1C down to 39, my blood pressure under control and was able to come off one of my drugs, leaving me just on metformin. The people who give the course are usually diabetic nurses and dietitians who deal with diabetics everyday so are actually far more knowledgeable on the subject than many GPs. You will learn about the process of T2 and understand what is happening, they go through all the drugs and how they work that, carbs are not the evil thing you may have been told,that the little and often mantra is out dated and quite wrong for t2 diabetics and that you should actually be eating balanced meals 3 times a day. Hope this helps you and good luck.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Like you doctors and hospital did not believe me when I said Metformin upset my digestive system. However I kept a diary for 3 months and they finally put me on gliclazide. Last year they said the gliclazide wasn't working anymore and I was put on Insulin. It has not been a good experience for me. Even after 2 years my sugars are still not controlled properly.
Lainewhite I hope the insulin has made a different. Which insulin are you on and how much?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
If you do get to your doctors, you should ask about the Xpert course http://www.xperthealth.org.uk/ ... You will learn about the process of T2 and understand what is happening, they go through all the drugs and how they work that, carbs are not the evil thing you may have been told,that the little and often mantra is out dated and quite wrong for t2 diabetics and that you should actually be eating balanced meals 3 times a day. Hope this helps you and good luck.
The usual nurse/dietician advice to eat carbs with every meal has been found by many of us to be harmful. I still eat carbs, but much less of them than I used to. Have you found that following their advice has helped you get your BG levels down?

Pipey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've been on Metformin and Metformin SR, but both of them really disagreed with me. If I went out I always had to make sure I knew where the toilets were.
I'm now on Sitagliptin and not experiencing any problems at all.

Reactions: 2 people