Next Step Loose Weight?

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
My bloods are much better controlled but my weight isn't shifting. And whilst that isn't really a problem, I would like to think about loosing weight.

Is it as simple as loosing weight will give me better control with my BS and lead to fewer meds?

I would love to hear from those that have shifted large amounts of weight and the impact it has had on the BS control. Have you managed to come off all medication?

I recently changed my Gliclazide from 2x80mg twice daily, to once (am) daily and I am ceasing that today. I am hoping that my BS doesn't spike. But I also take 25mg Empagliflozin once daily.

Realistically, what are the chances of coming off all meds with better weight control?

Cheers

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @DumfriesDik

For me it was the change in eating habits that shifted the weight - most of my weight loss came after I’d got BG levels down into non-diabetic levels and certainly now I can put weight back on pretty easily but without drastically affecting BG, so I’d say it’s the other way around.

For me dealing with the underlying insulin resistance by seriously cutting carbs and also using intermittent fasting helped to shift the weight. You seem to be doing a great job in reducing BG and reducing your meds so perhaps weight loss will follow in time, although that’s not a given: there are members on the forum who successfully keep their diabetes under control by eating low carb/keto but don’t lose a lot of weight.

You do need to be careful with the meds you’re taking so that you don’t hypo, but looks like you’re on top of that so would you be comfortable reducing carbs further? Or using intermittent fasting? The latter was a game changer for me. Initially just skipping breakfast but later moving on to eating once a day several times a week. That got harder as weight shifted but was a great tactic and didn’t leave me overly hungry. Just be sure to introduce changes you think you can sustain.