Nhs Clinic Appointment Cancellations, Again !

Bud1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have just today had my diabetes clinic hospital appointment cancelled today with less than a week. I’m with GGCNHS at the new QEUH. The next appointment is December and this has happened frequently, and it’s also happened to my teenage daughter at the same clinic. Anybody know what’s going on with this shambles? I have lost any respect I had for the nhs “ healthcare professionals “ the system appears to be bust. I’m in deep depression about this abysmal behaviour from this lot.

Edited to remove HCP name.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did a google, to see what I could find. There seems to be an issue with staff shortages, and a few other things, they have to remove some cladding, apparently.

That might be causing some disruption as well.

http://www.nhsggc.org.uk/about-us/media-centre/news/2018/01/cladding/

Apart from that, they seem to have a problem with people not attending appointments, and it's also possible that Freestyle Libre is extra work for them, when they are already stretched. They have to arrange education, and stuff. I know when it was done in Edinburgh it was quite a lot of work.

Have you got yours yet?

Reactions: Prem51

Bud1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I did a google, to see what I could find. There seems to be an issue with staff shortages, and a few other things, they have to remove some cladding, apparently.

That might be causing some disruption as well.

http://www.nhsggc.org.uk/about-us/media-centre/news/2018/01/cladding/

Apart from that, they seem to have a problem with people not attending appointments, and it's also possible that Freestyle Libre is extra work for them, when they are already stretched. They have to arrange education, and stuff. I know when it was done in Edinburgh it was quite a lot of work.

Have you got yours yet?
Yes got me this Wednesday and it promptly stopped working on Thursday. If they are shovelling clinic appointments back a year then how are they seeing now ? I’m not looking for anything special just a appointment to be kept even at least once a year. Removal of cladding is building work, why is that having a effect on others annual appointments? My daughter has had no education on carbs, dose adjustments, dafne, Libre or pumps, this GGCNHS are a joke, dangerous and incompetent, uncaring and lacking understanding. What I am asking is not new, special or unwarranted, I have been polite and patient, but I’ve paid into this system all my working life and now when I need help I can’t get it why ?

Reactions: Alison54321

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes got me this Wednesday and it promptly stopped working on Thursday. If they are shovelling clinic appointments back a year then how are they seeing now ? I’m not looking for anything special just a appointment to be kept even at least once a year. Removal of cladding is building work, why is that having a effect on others annual appointments? My daughter has had no education on carbs, dose adjustments, dafne, Libre or pumps, this GGCNHS are a joke, dangerous and incompetent, uncaring and lacking understanding. What I am asking is not new, special or unwarranted, I have been polite and patient, but I’ve paid into this system all my working life and now when I need help I can’t get it why ?

Phone your clinic and tell them when your last appointment was and when your new one is. More than a year is unacceptable, so ask for a sooner appointment.

If this doesn't work, write to your MSP, with a copy to the Health Secretary (I don't know the name of the new one) and copies to leaders of Labour, Conservative, Liberal and any other parties you fancy. There's no excuse for this lack of health care. . . . No wonder they call this new hospital The Death Star! A member of staff told me that even the staff refer to it by this name.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I don't know what's going on, I was just having a look to see if there were any obvious reasons, but it seems like the root of the problem probably began when they started an over ambitious project of building a massive new hospital, that they now can't manage properly, and the patients suffer. It's not the first time over ambition has caused a problem.

You could make a complaint,

https://www.nhsinform.scot/care-sup...tal-in-scotland#nhs-greater-glasgow-and-clyde

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It happened to me too, in the South East, and I went 22 months between appointments instead of 12.
There’s an increase in the numbers of people being diagnosed with diabetes, T1 and 2, and 1.5, at the same time that the NHS are experiencing staff and funding shortages.
Is the new hospital a publicly funded one or is it a PPI?
You’re lucky to have a new hospital. Here where I live the old hospital’s just that, old, and services have been relocated.

Reactions: Prem51

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hope your daughter gets all the diabetes ed she needs very soon!

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Phone the secretary to your consultant and ask for an explanation. You can contact PALs at the hospital and complain. You can write to the Chief Exec at the hospital to complain and if none of that works Jeremy Hunt Secertary of Health

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The same happened to me (West Yorkshire) and I ended up swapping to a different nearby hospital. My care has been significantly better and I went from having my appointment pushed back 14 months (in a time where I was really struggling with control) to being seen almost immediately by the new hospital and having regular 4 month appointments after until I had stabilised.

If that is an option for you I would definitely try that!

Reactions: Sweetheart66
D

Deleted Account

Be aware if your appointments are more than 12 months apart and your driving license renewal is coming up.
DVLA insists your last diabetes appointment is less than a year ago.
When I pointed this out to my consultant when I was at risk of losing my driving license because the appointment was delayed, I was advised to phone and insist on an urgent appointment.
In my case I managed to submit my DVLA renewal form 364 days after my last appointment!