NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme; letter from my GP surgery

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Rose22 this forum is likely to be far more help than any course. Are you testing before and after eating?
Yep as soon as I was told I was pre diabetic I found this forum and website, as I knew very little about diabetes really, other than monitoring my levels when I’d had gestational. I had my old metre from then so was able to start testing before and after and times when felt ill or they where v high. Took the info with me to following gp appointments. I follow a reduced carb higher fat Mediterranean diet. It’s been great! I do need meds too as this year got the results positive antibodies. Both combined I’ve had my first in range hba1c since 2018.
I did attend the type 2 1 day course at my local hospital, where a dn explained type 2 and then a dietician explained food, that part was very disappointing and confusing.

TerryJK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back in August last year, I was informed by the Practice Nurse at my GP surgery that I was Prediabetic with an HbA1C of 42. I was a severely overweight 57 year old man with a BMI in the high 30's. I was already on medication for high Blood Pressure and high Cholesterol. She sent me on a Diabetes Prevention Program run by ICS Health & Wellbeing, which I started early October. There was no 'selling products' or endorsements, etc, just the facts. After the first couple of weekly sessions I understood diabetes, carbs, fat, cholesterol, etc. etc. I researched both here and on the web and started LCHF in mid October.

I recently had a blood test and followed up with my GP who gave me some good news. HbA1C down from 42 to 38. Blood pressure down and medication halved. Cholesterol down from 3.3 to 3.2, statins medication halved (though I wanted to come off them altogether, he wouldn't agree to it). But more significantly I'd shed nearly three stone in weight, feel better than I have for over 30 years and not a roast potato passed my lips over Christmas!

I found the program useful and am still attending the sessions (one a month now). Perhaps it's down to who runs the sessions as to whether it's useful or not. I found it a trigger to go and find more information and take control myself, rather than be told what to do. It wasn't all plain sailing. Going low carb after a lifetime of rice, rolls, porridge, etc, wasn't easy and it felt like I had carb-flu for weeks. But now, eating LCHF comes very naturally and I enjoy it.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
My GP recommended a diabetes prevention course, but it was very difficult to actually get on one. Even the surgery receptionist had not heard of it.
However when I did start found it quite useful. Three different dietry approaches were thoroughly discussed. There was mention of the eat well plate, but in a "we used to think you should do this and now we know better " way. Low Carb high fat was well represented. But they did say not suitable for all. Which is reasonable.
My course was run by X-pert health.

Reactions: silentman

Belvoir Angel

My new DN (DN2) asked me questions about the food I eat which is a first. She didn't seem as pleased as she might have since I described a fairly low carb menu. She handed me a document entitled "10 Ways to Eat Well with Diabetes". A couple of paras. are "Choose Healthier Carbohydrates" and "Eat less red and processed Meat".

Things you can look up (it says) is the Fixing Dad web site and the other place which I cannot mention on this site.

The point I am trying to make is that if you get invited to a course don't expect anything except the same old same old especially if it is sponsored by a weight loss firm or the other place.

NHS guide lines on diabetes and pre-diabetes have not change significantly since I was training to be a dietitian in the late 1970s! Never did work as a dietitian though.