NHS funding for Dexcom

camparisoda

Hi everyone!

For the past year/year and a half, I've been having pretty awful hypoglycemic unawareness. I've not been hospitalised, but I'm frequently falling into the low 2s with no warning whatsoever, including during the night.

I know that there is now increased access to Flash Glucose Monitoring through the Freestyle Libre, but my issue is that I need alarms to help me recognise a hypo, and the Libre doesn't do that. I see that the Dexcom does, but I've not been able to find out anything about its use in the UK.

Can a Dexcom be provided by the NHS? Has anyone had any experience of it?

Thanks!

camparisoda

My understanding is that NHS funding of CGM is rare varies around the country.
I recommend talking to your diabetes team and explaining your issue.

Another option would be to get Libre and "pimp" it with a Miao miao. The Miao miao is attached to the Libre sensor and effectively converts the Libre into a CGM by sending Libre readings to your phone via Blutooth so you do not have to scan it.

If you take a look around the forum, you will find quite a few people adopting this approach.

I hadn't heard of the Miao Miao. Thanks for suggesting, and I will look it up now.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, CGMs are available on the NHS but it's not offered routinely and there is a criteria for it. I'm sure you can google your CCG's criteria outline online to see if you meet it and if you do, you can speak with your consultant and possibly put forward a strong case for it. However your team might put forward a plan, like run higher numbers for a short period of time or changing your insulins etc and they need to know why you're having hypos.
I agree another option would be an one off payment for a miaomiao transmitter to attach to a libre sensor, I think libre sensors are cheaper than the Dexcom sensors. So depending on your area again, it might be easier to get a libre compared to a Dexcom. I know there are some areas in England are not prescribing the libres yet, so do check your with hospital. It is viewed on case by case basis, some might need to do a course to get it or do a trial for it to get it. However libre 2 will be out some time next year which will have alarms.
I have no experience in getting a Dexcom, but I have been considered for an insulin pump with a CGM which is the Medtronic guardian sensors. There are a very small number of patients who have been able to get a Dexcom but again they are in a different CCG compared to us.