NHS: How long until first checkup?

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi.
I'm a tad confused. I saw a DSN on Wednesday where they took blood samples. After a good 30 minutes or so, I left with a bag of stuff including a prescription for Levemir & Novorapid pens and a handful of needles. The DNS said she would book a follow-up appointment for this coming Tuesday and said they'd call me on Friday to confirm.
Nobody did call, but I did get an outpatients appointment letter this morning, but it's for the 24th January. That can't be right can it? I might give them a call later to check (appreciate the NHS is snowed under, but I'm concerned about a few things, not least where to get new strips and needles).

How long was it before other newly diagnosed folks got a follow up?

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thats terrible. you should have had training and advice on insulin use. with a second visit within a few days to check your doing ok.

Reactions: Kevin259

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Weren't you given a letter for your GP listing the items to be put on your repeat prescription list? If not, you should have been.

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
Hi.
I'm a tad confused. I saw a DSN on Wednesday where they took blood samples. After a good 30 minutes or so, I left with a bag of stuff including a prescription for Levemir & Novorapid pens and a handful of needles. The DNS said she would book a follow-up appointment for this coming Tuesday and said they'd call me on Friday to confirm.
Nobody did call, but I did get an outpatients appointment letter this morning, but it's for the 24th January. That can't be right can it? I might give them a call later to check (appreciate the NHS is snowed under, but I'm concerned about a few things, not least where to get new strips and needles).

How long was it before other newly diagnosed folks got a follow up?

I was diagnosed when I went into hospital DKA on the 20th October this year, saw a DN whilst I was in there - which was just "You're type 1, here's how to inject, bye bye"

Now nothing now until 9th January, though this is like the 4th appointment I've had for it as the others all got cancelled and rescheduled lol

Go to your GP, take current items with you so he can put them on prescription for you.

Reactions: Ladylaurax

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
thats terrible. you should have had training and advice on insulin use. with a second visit within a few days to check your doing ok.

I left a message this morning. They phoned me back to say I had an appointment booked for tomorrow (just as well!).
The DNS did give me training and advice about the insulin, it's just that I was concerned she had either not booked the appointment or it was the one in January!

So, the answer to my question (in this case) seems to be: about a week.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both you guys, that is really, really poor service.
From reading Deano's previous posts I THINK he's getting a handle on things so hopefully you'll get help on here if you need it Berty. (Practically, I can't as I'm T2 and don't understand T1).
Let's be frank, it shouldn't be down to strangers on a forum to try and sort things out - but thank goodness it's here.
Best of luck.