NHS recommended vlcd programme

Donaldfr

Hi

Just wanted to get my thoughts in on vlcd which was recommended by nhs after i asked my gp if he was ready to put me on it. They did an assessment and said you can do it.
I was asked to buy the shakes and started the journey.
As soon as i started it i hated the shakes as they were too sweet and soups tasted of corn flour more than anything else so gave up on it and doing my own low starch vegetables soup i make and salads.
I dont think i am getting anywhere close to 800 cals as i was doing one meal a day before going on the diet.
4 weeks in bp was already stable and still looks good.
Lost 9.2 kilos and lost 10 cms around my waist.
Just not sure about when to stop.
I was 85 kilos when i started and as per nhs its 12 week plan but the rate at which i am loosing i should hit 15 percent weight loss by week 6 or 7 unless i hit plateau.
Gp isnt really monitoring just asks me to submit my sugars bp and weight for fist time last week since starting the diet.
I have added a little bit of protein from yesterday as all i was having was vegetables in form of soup, salad and stir fries.
I also got the 8 week blood sugar diet book.
Thanks for reading the posts.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What kind of blood sugar readings are you seeing and what do you propose to eat post your dieting period?

Reactions: wendy22

Donaldfr

What kind of blood sugar readings are you seeing and what do you propose to eat post your dieting period?
Hi

My readings are between 4.8 and 6.5. I will stay on
OMAD diet lchf. My problem is keeping weight in check. All my life i have been between 30 and 38 inches and last few years been 34 constant thanks to 16:8 IF but now i have reduced it further to one meal a day at night. I am hoping to keep my weight off this time. My a1c went to 116 but i got that down to 52 on my last a1c. Not sure what more i can do to keep weight off. Can't live on vegetables for too much longer.

Donaldfr

Indeed not.. thought of trying a carnivore type diet?
Meat, eggs, fish and dairy.. no veg required!
I dont think i will be able to do that but one meal which has about 10 to 20g carb should be good mixed with nuts etc. Half my problem is with nuts that i start them and dont stop. Not that much of a sweet tooth if i am honest, a diet coke works if i do crave it once a week.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont think i will be able to do that but one meal which has about 10 to 20g carb should be good mixed with nuts etc. Half my problem is with nuts that i start them and dont stop. Not that much of a sweet tooth if i am honest, a diet coke works if i do crave it once a week.
Depending on the nuts they can be fairly high carb so... and yes many of us find the "off" switch is hard once we start .. hence we try to avoid them.