NHS Shortfall and its effects

tronied

Firstly, I'd just like to say hello as this is my first post.

Right then, is anyone else a bit concerned over the news article today on the BBC about how the NHS is going to suffer a major shortfall in its funding from 2011? They are looking at the possible areas to make the cuts such as IVF treatment and staff cuts, but considering that every 1 in 8 pounds of the NHS budget is spent on Diabetes, do you think they might make cuts there? I am very glad we get our insulin free of charge considering the cost of each box of 5 insulin cartridges for a pen is about £40. I do think Pharmaceutical companies do charge well over the odds for their products, especially the test strip companies, but they know the NHS doesn't really have any choice in the matter and so charge what the like.

I was listening to the BBC news last night and one of the analyists was saying that the NHS could revert back to a basic package where certain prescriptions could be charged for which are currently free.I find it hard to believe that the NHS will just leave us to their own devices, but it does make you wonder if the service / products we get given currently may change in some form in the future.

Anyway, what are your opinions?