NHS Stopping test strips on prescription...

Spraggyleek

I was told yesterday by my Diabetic nurse that the NHS are stopping the prescriptions for all blood monitoring test strips except for one type? As from February they will issue Type 1 Diabetics with a new blood monitor and the only test strips you can get on prescription will be for that machine. I personally like to have a number of blood monitoring machines around, one in car, at work, in sport bag, upstairs and downstairs - but this is going to make them all redundant unless i'm willing to buy the strips myself!!! I can understand the issuing of test strips is a strain on the NHS but they want us to test more times like every time you go to drive etc. then restrict our options to do this! It makes me very angry! A Type 1 diabetic for 30 years in Stoke!

jopar

This decision is purely based on your PCT, who negotiated with said manufacturer and contract of supply of test strips... These contracts are legal, and they do dramatically reduce the costs for the PCT...

But because this is a separate contract from the BFN central contracts, the PCT are still legally obligated to ensure the provision of any medicals, medical equipment, dressing etc listed on the BFN list..

In the case of the diabetic, if there is a reasonable reason to why the patient can't use the offered blood glucose monitoring kit, then an suitable meter/kit from the BFN list must be provided.

Reasonable reasons doesn't take preference into consideration, only thing such as;

Vision impairment, can't see the read out.
Hand dexterity, can't operate meter or problems with handling test strips.
Compatibility with other medical equipment, such as insulin pumps where own manufacturers meters communicate directly with pump, and/or software.

As so having and using different meters in there and everywhere... This is a bit fool hardy due to the allowable tolerances in meters, actually means using different meters actually distorts the data being collected to the extent it can a direct impact in control.

KennyS

jopar said:

As so having and using different meters in there and everywhere... This is a bit fool hardy due to the allowable tolerances in meters, actually means using different meters actually distorts the data being collected to the extent it can a direct impact in control.

:thumbup:

Kenny

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told a long time ago that I was to be rationed to one test strip per day. I had no option but to buy some of them myself but I put a chart on the wall with dates on it which are 50 days apart. I try to make sure I order strips when I can.

Last week I was low on lancets and since there had been no rule made up about those I ordered them on my repeat prescription. When I got home and opened the paper bag there was a box of test strips in it but no lancets.

I have a moral dilemna here, should I fess up and tell them. I worried about for .........oooh ........er.........about 3 seconds and then said sod 'em.

I wonder if I am going to get a nagging for ordering too many test strips.

Strange sort of rationing.