NHS Took Pump Away

Showe1986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I was put on a pump about 10 years ago as my blood sugars were always erratic.
The pump was amazing, it made a massive positive difference to my life.

Fast forward 6 years and due to becoming homeless I was forced to move out to the back end of nowhere.
No diabetic clinic anywhere near and no bus to get to the one I was registered with.

I am unable to work so definitely can't afford a taxi each way.
I explained all if this over and over to my diabetic team.

After about a year of not being able to attend my appointment they stopped all of the infusion supplies and changed my prescription to insulin pens.

My diabetes has obviously returned to the way it always was before the pump and I feel as if I have been given a death sentence.
The difficulty in controlling my blood sugars is obviously causing damage to my body.
I am already partially sighted and my eyes are getting worse. I have neuropathic pain pretty much everywhere that is getting worse and I am always feeling ill.

Can they really do this to a person that can't get to appointments? Not like I just can't be bothered.

Also must be costing the NHS a fortune with all the extra problems I am having.
I don't see how they can stop a treatment that is working and improving a person's health.

Any comments will be appreciated.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.

Sorry to hear your story. I almost couldn't imagine using pens again if my pump therapy was taken away.

But was there really no way to get to the pump clinic? In your intro post you said it was only 11 miles away. Was there no family, friend or neighbour who could take you? Hell, if you're near me in North Cornwall - backend of no where - I'll take you!

I totally get why we need to attend. The NHS spends a considerable amount on us and they do need to make sure it's being put to best use. Touching base at least once a year is quite a small ask.

Hope you get sorted.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry you had your pump taken away from you, and are struggling with control again.
Were you downloading info from your pump regularly, so that your team could see how you were doing? Did you ask for a telephone appointment instead of a face to face one? During the early days of the pandemic this is how all my pump appointments happened.
Does your area have any volunteer hospital drivers, or schemes such as Dial a Ride, as you can't be the only person to find it difficult to get to appointments?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Crumbs if you were near me i'd take you - can you give us an idea of your location ?

Am sure a way round this can be worked out - where were you picking up your supplies from and did they just stop supplying you ?

• Friendly
Reactions: oldgreymare

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The difficulty with supplying an insulin pump and all that goes along with it is they need to justify spending that amount of money to be able to supply it to you as pens are considerably cheaper. My funding requests still go to an insulin pump panel every few years just to make sure it is still the best course of action to fund a pump for me. If you aren’t able to attend appointments or upload your data then your diabetes team can’t prove that they are justified in spending the money to supply you with an insulin pump.

Is there any local homeless charities or churches you could attend to ask for some help?

Jerryshort

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I suggest you talk to your local MP and your local newspaper. This is a shocking tale and the NHS need to be reminded of their commitment to help the country’s ill. I hope something can be done.