Night scare

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I was sent in for a blood test for my go after some stuff wasn’t going away and went to sleep that night as normal after having a late birthday party and making a killer cake. At 3am the next morning I woke to hear the door bell ringing over and over, and once my mum had opened the door she came upstairs and told me that I was at 37. I had to get a night bag together and get into the ambulance as soon as possible. Once I was inside, I had dropped considerably to 26 but still really high of course. I then proceeded to stay 5 nights in hospital (how long did everyone else stay??) and learnt all about what I needed to do and got given all my kit, but thankfully I knew quite a bit cause it’s part of gcse biology.
Once I got home it was all about calculating what I normally ate etc blah blah blah and I think I’m really starting to get the hang of it now cause I was rather thrown in the deep end as I had already booked a Spanish exchange with my school for only a month after diagnosis! It all went really well but I was hella stressed all week.
Anywayssss I just wanted to ask a couple questions just to see if people know or if they had the same thing (btw I’m 15 and diagnosed t1)
- put on a lot of weight (7kg) but I was v small before (about 44kg)
- eating a ton less than before
- what to eat as low carb and low fat snacks
- gaining a lot of fat around belly area? Presumably (I hope) cause it’s just a lot of gain in a short period of time and hasn’t had time to spread out
- tingling fingers when hands are above head
- knees and shins hurt while running- kinda feel like they are bending
- every single **** person wanting to know everything about your life now!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I was sent in for a blood test for my go after some stuff wasn’t going away and went to sleep that night as normal after having a late birthday party and making a killer cake. At 3am the next morning I woke to hear the door bell ringing over and over, and once my mum had opened the door she came upstairs and told me that I was at 37. I had to get a night bag together and get into the ambulance as soon as possible. Once I was inside, I had dropped considerably to 26 but still really high of course. I then proceeded to stay 5 nights in hospital (how long did everyone else stay??) and learnt all about what I needed to do and got given all my kit, but thankfully I knew quite a bit cause it’s part of gcse biology.
Once I got home it was all about calculating what I normally ate etc blah blah blah and I think I’m really starting to get the hang of it now cause I was rather thrown in the deep end as I had already booked a Spanish exchange with my school for only a month after diagnosis! It all went really well but I was hella stressed all week.
Anywayssss I just wanted to ask a couple questions just to see if people know or if they had the same thing (btw I’m 15 and diagnosed t1)
- put on a lot of weight (7kg) but I was v small before (about 44kg)
- eating a ton less than before
- what to eat as low carb and low fat snacks
- gaining a lot of fat around belly area? Presumably (I hope) cause it’s just a lot of gain in a short period of time and hasn’t had time to spread out
- tingling fingers when hands are above head
- knees and shins hurt while running- kinda feel like they are bending
- every single **** person wanting to know everything about your life now!

Knipster - I'm not T1 so can't really comment on many of your specific T1 related queries, but my post will bump your thread up the viewing lists a bit.

One thing I will comment on is the weight you have gained is likely to have been weight you lost leading up to diagnosis?

Years ago, after I had lost a lot of weight due to illness, when I started to regain it, it felt like it all went straight to my tummy. Being me, I had a bit of a moan about that to my Docs They just told me, it would take my body a little while to "spread it around", and for me, they were absolutely right.

Do mention it to your Doc or Nurse, if it continues to concern you. They'll likely understand.

Good luck moving forward, Knipster. It's a very steep learning curve for you, for sure.

knipster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Knipster - I'm not T1 so can't really comment on many of your specific T1 related queries, but my post will bump your thread up the viewing lists a bit.

One thing I will comment on is the weight you have gained is likely to have been weight you lost leading up to diagnosis?

Years ago, after I had lost a lot of weight due to illness, when I started to regain it, it felt like it all went straight to my tummy. Being me, I had a bit of a moan about that to my Docs They just told me, it would take my body a little while to "spread it around", and for me, they were absolutely right.

Do mention it to your Doc or Nurse, if it continues to concern you. They'll likely understand.

Good luck moving forward, Knipster. It's a very steep learning curve for you, for sure.
thanks for the advice, because i was really too skinny before hand i never had a steep weight loss but hopefully it will spread around as you said!

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i was at 24 and ketones at 3.4 i refused to be admitted. now im at 5-6.5 and reducing insulin levels. i was told i was meant tobe feeling really ill but apart from the normal symptoms.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hey @knipster
You are 15 so still have growing to do. The weight will settle.
You are eating less because now you inject insulin your body can use your food as fuel and it is not starving as a result of not being able to use the good properly.
Pain on running - how long since diagnosis? Are you still recovering? Or, could you have shin splints?
No idea about tingly fingers!
The mad questioning about your life will calm down and soon you'll be moaning that no one cares.