Night shift nightmares!!!!!

Ronaldopipe

Hello all,

I have been for a Diabetic few years, however in Jan 2009 I became insulin dependant It’s a total nightmare!!! I take 4 x metformin a day, 2 x 34mmls of mixtard and 1 or 2 x 22mmls of rapid insulin, I tick all the boxes on my Diabetic card!!!

I currently work night shift. I am on a 4 shift rotation so 2 on 2 off 3 on 2 off 2 on 3 off alternating days nights.

Changing shifts is really bad for me I don’t seem to get it quite right. I have Hypos, sleep in late on the afternoon and I am under 4.0 when I come to. Also I have averages that are 9.5s and recently 11+.
I have diarrhoea constantly while on nights. To top this off I have the leg pains and have rubbed all the hair off the sides of my legs with the constant movement.

I applied for a dayshift position, sent an e-mail 2 weeks before the decision explaining my difficulty on nights with my diabetes, and was rejected for the position. The feed back said it was a split hair decision. I totally give up the stress is adding to the whole issue now and I simply don’t see any way out.

HELP Ron
:(

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
What provision does your employer make for you?
Surely you are coveed by tthe disability discrimination rules.
Also you are using a shedload of medication, what is your diet like?
hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ronaldopipe,

Sounds like a very sympathetic and understanding employer you work for! :evil:

My understanding is, should working a particular shift system be detrimental to your health, you can ask to be removed from that shift. The employer has a duty to ensure that working shifts is not causing you health problems, or interfering with your medical condition.

At my place of work, they do health assessments, and there is the oppertunity to change shifts temporary, or permanently should it be neccesary on health grounds. I would suggest contacting your local Citizen's Advice, or should you be in a trade union, your local representative; I am sure that this is also covered by the Disability Discrimination at work, and may be another route to explore!

Remember, that should you succeed in changing shifts, you will undoubtedly have a drop in income not working a shift pattern. Anyway, best of luck and I hope your control improves! :)

Regards

Nigel

basher132

We work nights and days, not rotating, but one of my type 1 colleagues has transfered permanently to days as he needs regularity in meals to correctly judge insulin consumption. This was agreed with our employer, although not without a bit of leaning on by our union.
As I am only a diet- controlled type 2, no such swaps for me.
Cheers,
John

Ronaldopipe

Thanks to everyone,

I will contact my union, I am a member so should be able to get some advice.

My diet is usually quite good, the balance with carbs and veg etc is close to the advice given by the dietician. My medication is steadily increasing though, it could be the stress that is maybe a factor now.

When on nights I work a 12hr shift, its very difficult to work for this long at night without ending up eating what adds up to an extra meal, I have reduced the portions to balance. The way the shift plan out its almost a continual change around.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Ronaldopipe
If you follow the balance of carbs usually given by the dieticians,you may find things easier if you reduce the carb load . The lower the carbs, the less medicine you need and the easier it is to keep the blood sugars steady.
Lots of carbs and lots of medicine can put your system into a swinging mode, so you don't know where you are.