Night Sweats

Griffomarkii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

I am a 31 year old 116kg type 2 diabetic new to the forum. i was diagnosed around 9 years ago and have had a relatively well controlled sugar level with my recent review being 44mmol.

I attend spin class 3 times a week a run 7-10km twice a week (VERY SLOWLY :D)

I have been struggling to sleep properly for around 4 years and regurlarly wake up sweating heavily on my head / neck and have a craving for something sweet. i have been told it isn't possible to get hypo level with my medication (02 x metformin twice a day).

Does anyone else have this problem? could someone suggest some tips?

thanks

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It may be a good idea to simply take a glucose reading when you are experiencing all these events. That will clarify whether high or low blood glucose are triggering these events...

I used to suffer with this. I started taking L-carnitine which improves 1) the bodies ability to burns fats and 2) the bodies ability to produce glucose from the breakdown of body fats. Our bodies have gotten so used to burning carbs that they've become less efficient at burning fats. Carnitine plays a pivotal role in bringing fats into our mitochondria to be used as energy. Without carnitine it simply does not work. Take one tablet in the morning and one in the evening. Hope this helps, it certainly helped me.

MDHalstead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suffered for a while, when I stepped up my training. Eating after exercise and protein shakes helped.

Marky1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am similar - diagnosed type 2 about 5yr ago. I recently started having night sweats very similar to what you have described - something I've never suffered from before. I spoke to doc, they did blood tests and found nothing untoward so have put it down to a side effect of my diabetes. After they told me that, I checked my bloods the next couple of times it happened and they were around the 14 mark and this was 2am/3am ish. I'm going to keep monitoring and see how I go.
Been for my review this morning and I've had a strange urine result (see my earlier question if anyone has any advice).

Regards
Mark

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been low carbing for about five weeks now and my sugars are gradually coming down.

Coincidentally or not I have woken less at night due to feeling hot and when I have done and checked my BG it has been on the high side.

I have also started to feel chilly during the day when I would never have done so before. I don't actually own any jumpers or sweatshirts due to always feeling hot and now have a cardigan!

Testing your BG when hot may well reveal something

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Before I started this VLC way of eating two years ago I just assumed that it was a prolonged menopause causing the night sweats - but as my BG came down so the night sweats reduced and I only ever get the odd one now which usually coincides with my liver giving me some carbs (Dawn Phenomenon) at about 4 or 5 in the morning. Nowadays I just push back the duvet, turn over and let it get on with it.

Reactions: jonbvn and Ultramum

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Before I started this VLC way of eating two years ago I just assumed that it was a prolonged menopause causing the night sweats - but as my BG came down so the night sweats reduced and I only ever get the odd one now which usually coincides with my liver giving me some carbs (Dawn Phenomenon) at about 4 or 5 in the morning. Nowadays I just push back the duvet, turn over and let it get on with it.

Snap!

Reactions: Chook

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Before I was diagnosed as T2 I used to sweat a lot, including when I slept. LCHF seems to have stopped it completely. I have lost a fair bit of weight which may also be relevant.

Reactions: Hpetal and Ultramum