Night time hypo recovery

cyril.rayner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi I get Hypo's in the night or first thing in the morning, if at night I have Lucozade and some Jelly Babies. At the moment I know when I am having a Hypo ( I am 86 and have trouble with my water works so have to get up more often) I am T2 on Insulin (Humulin M3) Insulin dose 86 before breakfast, 24 before tea, any time between 3 and 5 I can have a Hypo. My BG before bed can be anything from 7.9 to 10.6. well that's me, any surgesterns ?

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I wrote earlier in this thread, an alarm (libre + miaomiao for me) appears to have finally dealt with my problem with hypos while asleep.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I get Hypo's in the night or first thing in the morning, if at night I have Lucozade and some Jelly Babies. At the moment I know when I am having a Hypo ( I am 86 and have trouble with my water works so have to get up more often) I am T2 on Insulin (Humulin M3) Insulin dose 86 before breakfast, 24 before tea, any time between 3 and 5 I can have a Hypo. My BG before bed can be anything from 7.9 to 10.6. well that's me, any surgesterns ?

Hello Cyril. Have a our had a chat with your medical team bout these hypos?

As you are on fixed doses of a mixed insulin(with a bit of long acting and some fst acting, mixed together), it's not always the easiest thing to start tweaking doses.

Has your evening routine changed at all? By that I mean, your evening meal, or supper/snacks

Probably a decent idea to have a chat with your team, and maybe have a snack before bed?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @cyril.rayner, Humulin M3 is from my reading on medicines.org.uk and mixture of two older insulins: a short to medium acting insulin and a longer acting insulin.
I used to be on them separately from 1966 til 1984. And from my experience, not as professional advice or opinion, mind:
If you look at the action of Humulin M3 over time by clicking on the picture below you can see that it has two peaks where it is working most strongly to lower blood sugar.
They are at about 3 1/2 to 4 hours, and a bit less strongly, about 9 to 10 hours after injecting it.
Because you have your dinner after injecting Humulin M3, the sugar from your meal probably balances up with the 3 to 4 hour peak insulin -lowering action of the Humulin M3, although the sugar peak might happen nearer the 2 hours mark.
But 10 hours peak of insulin blood-sugar lowering effect is about ? 3 to 4 am. Sound familiar? No food there to balance that.
So that maybe why the hypos are happening at night/early morning.
Now, night-time hypos can be dangerous - at least there were for me and best avoided.
If you were to go along to your GP or Diabetes Nurse, and let them find the Humulin M3 profile picture like the one below (google 'pictures of profiles of Humulin M3') they could also see what is happening.
I cannot advise you what to do about your hypos but armed with this picture/profile I am sure your GP or Diabetes nurse should be able to help with possibility changing a dose or looking at a different and perhaps safer insulin to use.
Best Wishes :):):)

IMG_4474.jpg