Type 1.5 Nightime Highs

xxgeorgiexx

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all

Serial lurker here :)

Quick background to me, diagnosed as type 2 October 2017, nothing seemed to work, diagnosed type 1.5 (LADA) in July 2018, straight on to quick acting Humalog but no background insulin. I am on 1 unit of QA = 20 carbs and my Hba1c in July was 83, and now (done 2 weeks ago) down to 51, so am really pleased overall with that :happy:

My main problem was (and still is) with really pooh morning counts (averaged tended to be between 11-13), so my nurse started me on long acting Lantus about 4 weeks ago, but on very small doses which started from 1 and am now up to 9, but still experiencing on average 10.0+ on my morning counts :arghh: and i know this will probably sound stupid, but it seems the more background i take, the worse control i have over my daytime counts (?). i have heard of the dawn phenomenon and understand what it is and am guessing i get it as my bedtime counts tend to be on average between 5-7, but have never had it explained to me how to actually correct for it? should i just be patient and keep upping my Lantus every 3 nights until i can get to a morning count that is better or is this one to go back to my nurse with? I hate bothering my nurse with stuff that i could maybe sort out myself. my last visit to my nurse he mentioned an intermediate insulin (Humalin i think he said) and wonder if that would be a better option.

It is just really frustrating that before background, ok my morning counts were pants, but i was able to correct that very easily and the rest of my day counts were really good.

Any advice gratefully appreciated :)

xxgeorgiexx

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
meant to also add, was up for a wee at 5am this morning so tested and was 6.1 which is brilliant (for me) but did my proper count at 7.30am and was back at 10.4