Type 2 Nightmare Two Months

Starchild421

Hi all

I am new to this forum and was hoping for some help and advice , I was diagnosed in 2012 and since then my weight and blood levels have been okay (i think) and I have controlled my diabetes through medication although I admit I should do more exercise aside from 30 minutes walking the dog each day. I normally take 4 metformin per day ,1 Amlodipine ,1 perindopril ,1 simvastatin and until December 9th 1 Saxagliptin . I had my review on December 6th and the nurse remarked that since my diagnosis medcines for the treatment of diabetes had improved and she wanted my blood sugars to decrease as they had climbed slightly since my last review she mentioned dapagliflozin but also that I would be urinating more every day or i could try an injection called Trulicity which I only needed to take once a week she did mentioned some slight side effects were possible but this sounded more pleasant than the tablet.I was given a presciption for 4 doses and the nurse booked in to ring me on new years eve , I took the first dose on Decmebr 10th and after the second dose a week later I started getting really bad back and abdominal pains which were noted as part of the possible side effects I was literally struggling to walk ,sleep or do anything, I tried leaving messages for the nurse but got no response I completed the other two doses hoping the side effects would cease but they got worse to the point were i was lucky to get 3 hours sleep a night .When the nurse phoned me on new years eve i explained what had been going on and she cancelled any further doses and put me on dapagliflozin and said she would check up on me after a months worth of tablets , the pains contiuned so much so I went to the doctors and begged fdor pain killers as i was exhasuted and my work was being affected during the day , the doctor gave me pain kileers and the pains have subsided however the dapaglifozin have left my dehydrated for large parts of the day and literally peeing every two hours including nights and I am just shatterd so have stopped taking them today and gone back to saxagliptin and thrown away the remaining 4 tablets .

As I mentioned at the start i have never had anything like this since my diagnosis and feel the last two months have just been filled with pain and lack of sleep .

I was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar or have just been really unlucky ,up until today I have been guzzling water right throughout the day which obviously increases the toilet trips but i just constantly felt thirsty.

Any help or advice would be welcome

thanks

Rob

Reactions: Nodemus

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I can't really offer any advice as I manage my diabetes through diet alone. However, I think that before you make any decisions about medication you should discuss them with your medical professional. I assume you have a meter- what sort of levels do you have?

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Have you had blood tests following the abdominal pain? There is a tiny risk of pancreatitis with Trulicity and similar drugs (I can never remember what they are called). I'm sure the surgery considered it in view of your symptoms but it might still be worth checking that out with them, especially if you are still having the pains. There is a blood test that could exclude the diagnosis, so if you had one (it checks liver function) they likely checked for it already.

Trulicity made me sick as a dog all through Christmas. But it did lower my levels, I think. I second VashtiB's suggestion you check your levels if you are peeing a lot.

Starchild421

Hello and welcome,

I can't really offer any advice as I manage my diabetes through diet alone. However, I think that before you make any decisions about medication you should discuss them with your medical professional. I assume you have a meter- what sort of levels do you have?
Hi VashtiB

thank you for the welcome and reply , my surgery is really difficult get a reply from at the moment due to their own staff shortages due to covid and they are operating a triage system and once the slots are gone you have to ring back the next day . Last night a slept through to 7.30am which was heaven for and also my wife as my constant trips during the night previously have been disturbing her sleep patterns . I dont have a meter but my review in December said I was just above the figure they wanted me at, I am going to try and email the surgery to let them know about the saxagliptin .

thanks again

Starchild421

Have you had blood tests following the abdominal pain? There is a tiny risk of pancreatitis with Trulicity and similar drugs (I can never remember what they are called). I'm sure the surgery considered it in view of your symptoms but it might still be worth checking that out with them, especially if you are still having the pains. There is a blood test that could exclude the diagnosis, so if you had one (it checks liver function) they likely checked for it already.

Trulicity made me sick as a dog all through Christmas. But it did lower my levels, I think. I second VashtiB's suggestion you check your levels if you are peeing a lot.
Hi Sunspots

thanks for the reply , I have had blood tests two weeks ago but not heard anything ( i suppose no news is good news) but as i mentioned to another poster my surgery is understaffed at the moment so getting in touch with anyone is difficult . I am booked in for an ultrasound on Monday regarding the abdominal pain which has now gone , in my mind I just think I am that 1in 100 person that has had really bad side effects due to a change in medication

thanks again

Reactions: sunspots