Nighttime hypoglycemia - excessive salivation

alex200274

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I have been diabetic (type1) for the last 18 years (diagnosed at 16yrs). When I was about 28/29 I started to have night time hypos which were eventually resolved with a reduction to my long acting insulin. During these episodes I would eventually come to or awake the following morning in a completely wet bed (literally as if I wet myself or spilt several pints of water on the bed).

I’m now well controlled but the night time hypos still happen maybe once or twice a year and sometimes I cannot attribute it towards anything obvious (one happened last night). My wife often assists, and administers a glucagon injection to resolve the situation. She says that during the episode I’m tossing and turning and drooling excessively (she cannot administer any Glucagel).

However my main concern is when these episodes happen I do not wake up at the onset of the hypo, and if I'm on my own could I possibly choke?

My diabetic team never heard of drooling during your sleep when someone has a nigh time hypo so they could not advise why this happens.

Is this common, excessive salivation during hypo when one is not awake - assume I'm lacking coordination due to the hypo and is the reason of the excessive salivation?

However I will salivate enough liquid to cover single bed sheet, and ironically when this happens and I’m on my own it’s the wet cold sheets and pillows that have brought me around.

tulip87

Afraid I've not come across excessive salivation either.

Is it possible not all the wet sheets are from the drooling though? The severe hypos I have had I have come round drenched too, from sweating. And even the more minor ones I have resolved I find if they go far enough I get very sweaty.

Just a thought

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Hi Alex

Apart from the drooling, you're describing exactly what happens to me when I have a bad hypo at night. Profuse sweating, not pleasant. It sounds like the drooling could be attributed to fitting, which means you really are having a VERY bad hypo. It's not uncommon for autonomic functions to be compromised during such an episode, and drooling fits straight into this category along with sweating and other unpleasant stuff I'll let you Google... :(

Hypo unawareness is something I've been battling with for years, without much success. If you catch it early enough I think it's possible to gradually get some signs back over time by really cracking down on your control, but it's a very long and slow process. :(

Hos

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I'm in the same exact situation here
In fact , I just joined the forums to say that :)
And to thank you of course for writing what had happened to you..
At least now I will be sure I had a hypo when i wake up drooling...