NO CARBS BUT HIGH READING

Trinkwasser

Watch out for that ryebread! I can eat it earlier in the day than wheat bread, usually with lashings of butter, but I had a fright first time I tried some, it was so dense that a slice was 70g - 40g carbs. I can just about handle half a slice.

Some people can eat ryvitas and similar crispbreads. I can even do oatcakes at breakfast but only two (12g carbs)

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
Thanks i've now dumped the soda bread was going to try branflakes in the morning are they ok any one know,shan x

samcogle

shandromeda said:
Thanks i've now dumped the soda bread was going to try branflakes in the morning are they ok any one know,shan x
Bran flakes seem fine for me. I tried a slice of that Burgen soya bread this morning and my BG was 9 two hours later :eek: so think I may have to avoid it. It was really nice too!

C

catherinecherub

Hi sam.
Did you just have the bread or did you balance it with some protein and fruit/veg? One slice is 11.8 carbs.
Catherine.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Shan,

Unfortunately all breakfast cereals are very high in carbs. Most breakfast cereals are made from wheat, same as the flour that your bread is made from. If you eat eggs then that is a good alternative that won't send your BS rocketing (boiled, fried, poached, scrambled, or in an omelette).

saz1

I seem to react to all sorts of cereals including bran flakes and weetabix too so am avoiding. I have made my own muesli from nuts, seeds, coconut, small amount of dried blueberries and some toasted buckwheat groats and can have that with natural yogurt. I can also have one slice of burgen with my breakfast and my sugars are 6-6.5 one and two hours in so often have toast with bacon eggs and tomatoes.

samcogle

catherinecherub said:
Hi sam.
Did you just have the bread or did you balance it with some protein and fruit/veg? One slice is 11.8 carbs.
Catherine.
Hi, I had it with a couple of veggie sausages. Sorry I am still in the learning stage (and waiting for my carb book) is 11.8 high?

mikomikimika

Your nurse sounds very irresponsible. It's obviously more important for you to know what your blood sugar is on a regular basis than it is for her to be worried about a possible wrong reading.

I'd definitely ask your doctor, and if you can't get one from them, I might switch doctors. That is something every diabetic person should have.

samcogle

I was a bit surprised that the endocrinologist told me yesterday to stop checking my blood before and after meals and just do it morning and last thing at night as they are the important ones, but as I am trying to find out what I can eat I am ignoring him :)