No family history of t1...

Emzie-Bub-xo

Hi all just wanted to share my experience of having t1 without any known family history of it, and if anyone else has similar experiences... I was quite a healthy child, apart from having constant ear infections, I was always underweight/normal weight, and wasn't a sweet binger...the only other person in my family who was diagnosed with diabetes was my grandad, just before he died...but he wasn't my biological grandad. It would be lovely to hear from others in similar situations as I feel alone sometimes... Thanks all :)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hia - a distant cousin with t1 but no one else. Also i was a healthy child and didn't get diagnosed until i was 32 so quite late on. My mum was late in having me (she wa aged 45) and apparently I've read that this can increase chances of developing diabetes ..... I dont know how much science or research is behind this belief though ?!

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here.
No family history of diabetes at all as far as we have been able to tell. The women in the family seem to live long and healthy lives while the men either match them or drop dead before 60 with one form of cancer or other.

As a kid I was crazy active and was always slightly underweight though did suffer from tonsilitis on a regular basis. The worst illness I had as a child was chickenpox and that was so mild that they weren't even sure until I came out in a rash.

What I do seem to have is a peronsal history of autoimmune problems. Have spoken to 1 Dr who thinks that the constant tonsilitis may have been one form, then in my late teens I developed Graves Disease and then mid 30's T1.

So while family history can increase your chances (I beleive if a sibling develops it then chances are MUCH higher) it more comes down to your own genetics.

/A

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeh, same here. No family history of any type of diabetes. Was a very healthy child except constant tonsilitis. Ended up having my tonsils out at 6 years old, but still got tonsilitis several times after that (yes, it is possible to get tonsilitis without tonsils :crazy: ). Have always been slightly underweight while the rest of my family are all a bit overweight. Always ate well but found it impossible to put weight on. Developed migraines when I was 21 and have had them regularly since - no idea why. Developed Type 1 diabetes at 42. My mother had thyroid problems requiring an operation to remove part of the thyroid and my sister is borderline for thyroid problems. I guess it's just one of those things. No point wondering 'why me?', just have to get on with it. There are worse things in life than diabetes!

Smidge

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
There are worse things Smidge but I have to admit that to keep things under control on a daily basis - 24/7 365 days per year takes some effort and it can take its toll on even the most postive person. I think it's the never ending blood checking, carb counting and even when your realy carefull unexpected high/low blood sugars that leave me jaded and sometimes a bit despondent and feeling sorry for myself. Human nature I guess.

Fallenstar

Hiya :D
No ,No Type 1 as far as I know in my recent family tree..but plenty of Pernicious Anemia, Auto Immune Thyroid Disease..Ceoliac, all Linked to Type 1...Oh and PLENTY,and I mean PLENTY, on one side, VERY early heart disease...So the chips are down for me..well not literally, as I'm low carb now :wink: :lol: but I do tend to look after my old ticker as much as I can now..and where a lot of the other members of my family have had stents in by the age of 40, none overweight or unhealthy,its a REAL worry. Oh, and Bypass surgery..I'm Type 1..and stent free and from scans my arteries and heart are all in great working order, for now :D Whey Hey..keep on pounding those pavements :lol: ...but genetics are something we can bend, but can't control...so live for now ,stop worrying about the past and what ifs, cos you are not here for long :D So make the most of it ...and it's CRIMBO Soon....Now there is a WHEEEY HEEEY :D :D :D :D

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Riri!

Sorry, didn't mean to sound glib. I just think that if you sit and ponder the 'whys' you'll drive yourself insane, because at the moment there are no answers. We all feel down sometimes - managing diabetes does take up a lot of time and energy. A couple of weeks back, I was down because i simply didn't want to stick any more needles in myself (well who does really?), but I know I am lucky to have the insulin and needles to keep me well - there are lots of people in the world who simply don't have or can't afford the medication they need. I have no choice over being diabetic, but I can choose how I cope with it. So I allow myself a 'down day' occasionally, but don't let it spill over into the next day :lol:

Keep your chin up!

Smidge

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No family history of diabetes in my family what I am aware of and no-one has been diagnosed since with the condition! :?

I was never unhealthy as a child and would spend most of my days outside, prior to diabetes I wasn't unwell so the diagnosis came as quite a shock to my family. What caused it and what could have done differently (if that was possible) I've give up caring about long-ago, there are far worse diseases and conditions to have than diabetes :)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
No you didn't sound glib Smidge. If I was writing this reply a year ago I would be saying exactly the same as the rest of you and agreeing there are a lot worse things out there and for us all to 'get in with it'.

It's just that the ongoing battle with the bleeding thing for over a year now (going fine for 12 years) has made me run out of steam and at the moment stops me from doing anything which I know would normally give me great pleasure - holidays, eating out, enjoying a glass of wine or two and even going to the gym .....my life is definately on hold for now:(.

Have a good Christmas everyone and let's hope for a happy and healthy 2012

Ausra

No family history of any diabetics..only cancers :D Everyone was shocked I got it.

I just found out recently that Diabetes is one of the oldest known diseases, an egyptian manuscript mentions of 'passing too much urine'.
Someone later commented that "life (with diabetes) is short, disgusting and painful''.. (from wikipedia)

I think diabetes history is very long and if your granddad did not have it, mabe a grand grand grand grand grand grand grand father had it, as it goes back hundreds of years..

Dislikes
Man Utd, racism and bullying.
no family history for me, was diagnosed 32 years ago. within 18 months 4 others within 250 yards of me were diagnosed T1- all of us were 13-16 years old, 3 males, 2 females. a possible connection with flouride coming off farmland and going into the water supply was hinted at by research- never totally proved! All cases had no family history!!

you are not alone!!

Mark.

heenik06

I also have no family history
There seems to be a lot of t2 in my family
It was just a coincidence, I've always been healthy
Only got t1 when I was 12
I don't know how I got it :/
I've read that it can be due to your bodies own antibodies fighting against the cells that produce the hormone insulin

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
There is history of t2 in my family,however I was diagnosed with t1. I have 6 month old daughter and im trying to get myself prepared (emotionally) for when she is diagnosed :(

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
What makes you think she will be diagnosed? She could well not be :)

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
daisy1 said:
What makes you think she will be diagnosed? She could well not be :)
Well im type 1 and it is very common for the child to have it too.

awilkie86

No history of T1 in my family at all but all siblings now with t1!

I was diagnosed at 9 years old, my sister was diagnosed at 2 years old and my brother 11.

We could be worse of so make the most of life and keep your chin up :)

Ashleigh

adamathomason

No family history whatsoever. I was always average weight. Only thing I remember going to the doctors for a few times was eczema. I got a really bad cold September 2010 and then started to lose weight rapidly. In january 2011 I was diagnosed T1. The doctors think my immune system which got rid of the virus also destroyed my pancreas. Just been diagnosed a year and although we all have good days and bad days. I can be happy that the good days far outweigh the bad.