No fashion statement

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It surprises me foot-care isn't a main topic on diabetes ✻message boards✻ ..and elsewhere.

Because I can, I pay for my own podiatry and get high-quality skin moisturiser from a pharmacy.

I always take precautions ..✻non-metallic✻ safety shoes are no fashion statement, but I always wear them when I'm out. Indoors ..a type of plastic clog.

To me, it is a Health & Safety precaution ..beyond the workplace.

I'm genuinely interested to know how folk look after their feet ..because I live with diabetes, I believe mine to be quite vulnerable.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Foot care often comes up on the forum, it's also mentioned in a lot of diabetes related literature so I don't know where you've been looking @Ajax

I use a product called Flexitol on the soles of my feet to prevent dry/cracked skin and to moisturise them, it was recommended by a Podiatrist. Apart from that just sensible, comfortable footwear, daily checks and an annual check-up by my diabetes team.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Foot care often comes up on the forum, it's also mentioned in a lot of diabetes related literature so I don't know where you've been looking @Ajax

I use a product called Flexitol on the soles of my feet to prevent dry/cracked skin and to moisturise them, it was recommended by a Podiatrist. Apart from that just sensible, comfortable footwear, daily checks and an annual check-up by my diabetes team.
Same here.

Reactions: noblehead

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My personal view is that risks to the feet are often over emphasised.

The risks should be viewed in context.

If you have poor BG control, slow healing and loss of sensation in your feet then you have to be very careful and check constantly. At any time you could have an injury which you couldn't feel and so couldn't treat.

If you have full sensation in your feet, good BG control and good healing ability then you are no more at risk than a non-diabetic.

I was frightened by all the warnings when I was fist diagnosed.

Now I wear shoes when I want to and go barefoot when I want to.
So far no more damage than pre-diagnosis.

The problem with blanket scare statements is that once you realise they don't apply to you then you distrust all the other pronouncements you are given by HCPs.

Reactions: Gannet

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in complete agreement with @LittleGreyCat

For the same reasons I wear whichever shoes I choose, or no shoes if I choose. My feet are not numb, I have a strong pulse, I heal well, and if I tread on something I know about it. I have good BG control. I have regular pedicures from a beautician who removes all the hard skin plus the annual foot check with the nurse, and am happy I have no more risk than a non-diabetic.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Because I can, I pay for my own podiatry

Me too, no choice really. My dad get regular appointments with an NHS podiatrist, but he's had problems over the years, so it's almost essential.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have good control no nerve problems can feel everything with my feet so do no different than I always did - washed in the shower everyday followed by foot moisturiser - do my hard skin with a file thingy once a week and my toenails (which I do have a slight problem with as they curl a bit due to psoriasis) every couple of weeks - in fact sitting here now waiting for a beautiful turquoise colour to dry before a second coat lol - I wear the shoes I want and go barefoot in the house as I'm of the opinion having your feet in shoes all the time isn't good for them either.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It surprises me foot-care isn't a main topic on diabetes ✻message boards✻ ..and elsewhere.

Because I can, I pay for my own podiatry and get high-quality skin moisturiser from a pharmacy.

I always take precautions ..✻non-metallic✻ safety shoes are no fashion statement, but I always wear them when I'm out. Indoors ..a type of plastic clog.

To me, it is a Health & Safety precaution ..beyond the workplace.

I'm genuinely interested to know how folk look after their feet ..because I live with diabetes, I believe mine to be quite vulnerable.
I wear hotter or echo shoes exclusively and get a podiatrist every 4 weeks.