1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

No more Combo or Insight!

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by EdTedworth, Jun 4, 2021.

1. EdTedworth

EdTedworth · Newbie

Is anyone else really disappointed the Roche/Accu-chek are stopping producing the Combo and Insight pumps from December this year?

I've been using accu-chek pumps for over 12 years, first a Combo, then 2 Insights and have never had any particular issues.

I'm pretty gutted to be honest.

2. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh no, I wasn't aware of that! I like my combo :(

Edited to add - just wondered where you'd heard/read that, could you provide a link please as I can't see anything on their website to say that. Is it applicable in the uk?

#2 Hopeful34, Jun 4, 2021 at 10:18 PM
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  3. EdTedworth

EdTedworth · Newbie

I've not seen an official Roche update, but there are a couple of discussions in the Facebook group called Accu chek combo/Insight insulin pump group.

Also I found a discussion on the forum that I'd not seen before, but I'm not allowed to post the link here apparently.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hopeful34

Thank you. I'll have a look.

5. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Does that mean they won't be sending out consumables too? My Insight was great because it allowed me to use cartridges pre filled rather than fiddle with tubes and air bubbles but it did go wrong twice in the past year for precisely that reason (piston caused the cartridge to leak ).
    I am giving the T Slim Basal IQ a go hopefully with Dexcom G6 looping...Bit nervous about changing brand and going back to manual filling.

• Hug Hug x 1
  6. Hopeful34

I would imagine they'll continue to provide them until your 4 year contract runs out. I haven't heard anything different. It's made me think that my 4 years might be finishing later this year :( It's their cannulas that I like, would get very anxious with other makes.

7. Hopeful34

Have just checked and my 4 years is not up till September 2022, so hopefully they will continue supplying consumables till then.

8. Queenserene_

Queenserene_ Type 1 · Member

Not heard about this but disappointing if that is the case! I have an insight and whilst I love the pump itself, none of the handsets to go with it have matched it in quality (extremely slow or impractical) wonder it that had anything to do with it at all. Will be interesting to see what happens!

9. Hopeful34

I've just phoned Roche, and they confirmed that the plan is not to provide any new Combo or insight pumps after December this year. They will still provide consumables until existing warranties run out.

They are expecting to release this info to diabetes teams this week.

The lady I spoke to said that they wanted patients feedback on this decision, and they MAY decide that they will continue them, if a lot of people want to continue using them when they are due to get a new pump.

It would be helpful if you could post this information on to any Facebook groups etc that you are on, as the more people that ask them to continue the better.

10. Psychogerb

Psychogerb · Newbie

Sigh, another corporate decision based on the US market no doubt, just like the Animas.

When you say 'the piston caused the cartridge to leak' - is this the same problem I just had where the piston failed to detect the cartridge and just kept going until the cartridge was empty and I was covered in insulin? Roche are replacing it immediately but I find it a bit disconcerting....

11. Gemma2

Gemma2 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Gutted. Been on Insight 6 years. Love the cartridges as partially sighted. And I love the black background with white writing. 80 year old Type 1/ very active.

• Hug Hug x 1
  12. Hopeful34

As above, I'd suggest you contact Roche and convey this, and I'm also going to contact hospital clinic and express my dismay as well.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook