No more insulin?

Paddy_nz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Very interesting - there seems to be a strong link to exercise for sure
Although I made the most reductions from diet to begin with - as I have been unable to do much physical activity until ~6months after my DKA. I was a bad case though
Also interesting to see your hba1c levels @Diamattic - they are similar to mine - although our outpatient clinic has been trying to push me to get an insulin pump, claiming my levels are too low
How much do you test @Vonnelene ? It's interesting to read you saying you had some readings up in the 10's?
I haven't had anything higher than 8.6 since being totally off insulin
Although I haven't pushed my luck - to begin with I was quite paranoid about being on some "holiday/honeymoon" and eating something that would set it all off down the DKA path again
I live ~1hr drive away from a hospital, and spend most of my time alone out in the country, so it's not like I feel I can risk much

Reactions: Vonnelene

Vonnelene

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Last HbA1c was 38.
That reading of up in the 10's was after really pushing my luck with a lot of carbs and only a week after coming off Novorapid, though.
My average is between 4 and 6!
Had some bloods taken on Monday for more tests, including HbA1c, but have not had the result back. Will keep you posted......

Paddy_nz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm awaiting the same myself. Sorry, you asked my age and I forgot to reply, I'm 35

Do you still carb count? How much would you normally eat throughout the day?
I'm heavy for the morning before exercise - normally 40-50 and on those days, don't have much afterwards - maybe 10-20 per meal
I've started testing very short/basic exercise like a 20min walk and less carbs to start the day with varying results.
I still haven't been given a straight guide of where I should be happy with readings, so am just monitoring as I go - but am typically 4-6 as well

The heaviest dose of carb's I've had was ~50g for a dinner which took me to 7.5 which to be honest made me quite anxious but I figured it was OK for the experiment and I woke a few times in the night to re test - and was going down, but not quickly. That was a potato dish. I was low 6's by the morning, so for sure not something I'd want to do all the time

Vonnelene

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My breakfast and lunch are quite boring.
Breakfast: Normally plain organic yoghurt with granola and flax seeds (about 40g carbs) I stopped injecting Novorapid for this, when I stopped using Lantus, as my midday BG went too low.
Lunch: Banana and protein smoothie with peanut butter (about 30g of carbs) and also stopped injecting for this when I stopped Lantus.
My evening meals vary between 0 carbs and 150g of carbs!
I've also found that potato and/ or pasta increases my BG for longer, but it is normally down to about 6, two hours after the meal.
I normally train in the evenings before my meal, apart from Friday and Saturday when I also train early morning on an empty stomach.
BG goes up from 5 to 10 from the workout (depending on how hard I worked, hahaha), then I have breakfast and by lunch time my BG is normally about 4.3