1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

No more insulin

Discussion in 'Type 2 with Insulin' started by gillytee31, Nov 20, 2019.

1. gillytee31

gillytee31 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I had my annual review today. My blood test two weeks ago showed HbA1c of 28 and I had been told NFA but my practice nurse had spoken with the diabetes team at the local hospital today and they feel that HbA1c of 28 means I should stop insulin altogether and just continue to take metformin, then review in 1 month. Three main reasons for blood sugars reducing. Firstly I stopped taking steroids last December, secondly, I have cut down carbs considerably, and thirdly my husband died on October 18th so I have been eating less in general so have lost 2st, 1 more stone to go and my BMI will be in normal range. I am so pleased I can stop taking insulin.

• Hug Hug x 11
    • Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Wow, very well done. All I would say though is that insulin is a very effective way of lowering glucose and although I don't know what amounts you have been using alongside with cutting your carbs etc, don't forget to adjust accordingly when you no longer have the insulin. So sad about your Husband, hope you're able tolook after yourself. x :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

@gillytee31 - fabulous news on the insulin and that stellar A1c. My condolences on your husband's passing. It sounds like you've been through the mill of late.

Keep up the good work.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Well done.
    Its so sad about your loss. I hope you hv company to help you keep your chin up?

No insulin sounds lovely. Keep monitoring. You deserve good hba1c results.
    Well done again :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Majii

Majii · Member

Hi
    I just had to offer my condolences after reading you lost your husband. I am glad you are focusing on the positives. Well done

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook