No new pumps (Scotland) :(

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
jamiesmum said:
As mum to a recently diagnosed T1 6yr old, would any of the pump users recommend this for my wee boy? He seems to be embarrassed about his diabetes, eg doesn't want the teacher to talk about it or explain it to the other kids, when I mentioned the pump, his eyes lit up and he said he wants one. He's too young to understand how things really work though, I've done some reading on it but I would want to find out as much as I can. I take it not everyone is suitable? And you have to apply for funding? I've so many questions burling about in my head - I'm glad I found this! I'll never be off it now! Thanks for any info or advice.

Hi Jamie's mum
There are parents of T1 children here, I'm sure some of them will be along soon to share their views.
Meanwhile, take a look at http://www.input.me.uk/ if you haven't already, it explains about funding/eligibility and issues to consider. A pump isn't a magic wand, as I'm sure you already know.
Sue

becki

my turn to say sorry for delay, i live in fife and got my pump in feb, i know people may hate me for saying this but i only started the pump process in oct. keep on at them

silvarbullet1

LittleSue said:
Received a reassuring reply from Input:

"Hi Sue
Thank you for contacting INPUT.
Times are hard for the cash-strapped NHS, but certain things are enshrined in statute.
I hope that helps reassure you.

Best wishes
Lesley Jordan
---
INPUT
http://www.input.me.uk "

This is a bit off-topic, but the NHS is indeed in trouble with government slashing budgets.
My wife is a Dr, and says that recently, several PCTs have completely cut funding for IVF.

If it's not life-saving, they are starting to cut it...
It must be incredibly difficult to decide what to cut, I mean, what would you do? Ok, so we've got £Xmillion less this year. We can cut insulin pumps, or IVF, or a cancer drug.

No one should have to make those sorts of decisions.