1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

No NHS support for prediabetics who are not overweight

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by snametab, Jan 9, 2022.

1. sunspots

sunspots Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't again now! My daughter is a recovering anorexic and couldn't cope with me altering my diet away from hers.

I was eating a max of 35g carb per meal but more or less normal foods, minus potatoes, pasta etc. When I was keto I got sooo bored of the same foods, even when cooked in different ways. After 2 or 3 years of it I got a carb creep and then gave up.

2. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi there, I was exactly like you with regards to the so called lifestyle and was diagnosed as pre diabetic when I was 52 after a standard 'well woman' check. I recall them saying then that I didn't fit the 'profile' of a type 2 which unfortunately is as you state above and so they left it at that. Very gently I would say be careful of falling into the same trap yourself when it comes to stereotypes. 3 years later I became hospitalised with DKA and lo & behold, I had various tests done and was actually a slow onset type 1. They now think that the pre diabetic diagnosis was the start of that onset (of course it could have started years before for all I know). The problem with the NHS as I see it is that they do love to shove everybody sharing symptoms into the same category from the off, and even if they are correct much of the time there are still plenty of people of all types who do not fit the textbook profile, if I had actually been overweight and sedentary when being rushed into hospital I am sure they would still have been blathering on about 'type 2' and yet I was a type 1, no further tests would have been done and I would be in a very different position to now. I don't know if you've had all the tests available or not, but from the sound of your diet you clearly are low carb. What are your numbers like?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. snametab

snametab Prediabetes · Member

thanks for sharing your experience with me and your warnings. When you say numbers I only have one test result for a HA1c test (taken because I had a UTI). The result was 42 which I know is the entry point for prediabetic. I am going to buy a blood sugar monitor and ask for another HA1c test after 6 months of being on this low carb diet (April). I want to get a reading of under 42 and then I will introduce more carbs back to my diet, but will not return to my previous diet which was high in potato, rice, pasta and fresh fruit (had 5 pieces of fresh fruit every morning for breakfast with my soaked oats - a little over the top I now know) as I said sweet things not a temptation for me as I don't like them.

I had terrible stress for a sustained period of 12 years and believe that this may have caused the lead up to this. I have just started reading Dr Jason Fung's book 'The Obesity Code" (even though I am not and have never been obese) and then I plan to follow this up with his book on The Diabetes Code. In Dr Fung's Obesity code book he talks about horomones and how they regulate our body and so that is what leads me to believe that might be my starting point. I also had terrrible hormonal problems all my adult life from the moment I started menstrual to end of menopause.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. snametab

5. snametab

Thank you for all that info sorry for the delay in my appreciation

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@snametab Reading your food and your reading, I think you'd like Metabolical by Dr Robert Lustig. An endocrinologist, he goes even deeper into what food does at cellular level, and he hits out hard at Health systems (like the NHS) and at BigFood and BigPharma
    I think its on special at kindle and audible at 99p at the moment. I'm halfway through the paperback version and don't regret paying full price, it's that good!

7. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi snametab, that is a great idea, the numbers I meant being individual glucose readings before & after meals and when fasting, etc. The daily data from doing those glucose tests will be crucial for you to see what is going on real time. I wish I had done so when I got my 'pre diabetic' diagnosis, I think my hb1ac back then was 42 also. By the time I was diagnosed 3 years later (having shamefully paid no further attention to this 'pre' thing based on sheer ignorance on my part and no follow ups from the GP) my hb1ac was a 150 (!!) and I had virtually wasted away. It wasn't until my symptoms became impossible to ignore or explain away that I went to the GP. An hour later I was in hospital. You really are doing the right thing at such an early stage, so please let us know how you get on. If you find your numbers are high even when low carbing, ask them for a C Peptide test and an antibody test and don't take no for an answer. x

8. Rocinante

Rocinante · Well-Known Member

This sounds mostly keto to me... except for the blueberries! Sounds like good food in your house :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook