1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

No Sun Allowed

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by pensionistamike, Aug 27, 2017.

1. pensionistamike

pensionistamike Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Having had several "cut outs" and other treatments for skin cancers I was told to keep out of the sun altogether
    after my latest course with Picato cream, Not easy when you live in Spain.
    What I was wondering is it safe to take Vitamin D supplements as I have been informed everybody needs a certain
    amount per day or would they clash with other medications,
    Any advice would be gratefully received.
    Im a 79 yr old Type 2 with Bladder cancer and CKD for my sins.
    Best wishes to all.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Struma

Struma Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting question.

Face, neck and backs of hands needs SPF50 when out - but you didn't ask that.

I think GP needs to be reminded to consider Vit D3 treatment, and I would expect he answer to be yes, at least part of the year, and probably at a maintenance dose. I don't think you should self medicate, too important.
    There may be very specific guidelines, but I don't recall anything offhand, nor do I take a Dermatology journal.

3. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @pensionistamike . I would in all honesty suggest you seek advice from an expert/ registered medical source.
    We could give advice but with your situation and medication it would not be advisable.
    Sorry I can't offer more.
    Good luck.

4. Seacrow

Seacrow LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi
    First I'd make sure you need a supplement. Ask your GP to include Vit D in your next blood tests. This is one of the supplements you can overdose on if you take too much, it damages your kidneys, which you really don't want. If you're already getting enough, then taking extra will encourage kidney stones to form.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. pensionistamike

pensionistamike Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good morning,
    Thank you all who replied to my query about Vitamin D supplements.......Ive just come back from seeing
    a Doctor who has managed to get me an appointment with the Nephrology /Kidney) department at the Hospital
    in Cartagena for the 7th September......I feel that I must explain that how its happened so quickly is because over
    here in Spain you you can make an appointment on-line to see a Doctor or a Nurse.
    As its the Holiday season at the moment Surgeries and Hospitals are a lot quieter than usual so thats one of the reasons
    for the way its been possible to do it so quickly......the other reason is he requested Priority 1......bit worrying but its
    done the trick.........will let you know what happens after the 7th.......once again thanks for your advice.......

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook