No Sun Allowed

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having had several "cut outs" and other treatments for skin cancers I was told to keep out of the sun altogether
after my latest course with Picato cream, Not easy when you live in Spain.
What I was wondering is it safe to take Vitamin D supplements as I have been informed everybody needs a certain
amount per day or would they clash with other medications,
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Im a 79 yr old Type 2 with Bladder cancer and CKD for my sins.
Best wishes to all.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
This is a very interesting question.

Face, neck and backs of hands needs SPF50 when out - but you didn't ask that.

I think GP needs to be reminded to consider Vit D3 treatment, and I would expect he answer to be yes, at least part of the year, and probably at a maintenance dose. I don't think you should self medicate, too important.
There may be very specific guidelines, but I don't recall anything offhand, nor do I take a Dermatology journal.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @pensionistamike . I would in all honesty suggest you seek advice from an expert/ registered medical source.
We could give advice but with your situation and medication it would not be advisable.
Sorry I can't offer more.
Good luck.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi
First I'd make sure you need a supplement. Ask your GP to include Vit D in your next blood tests. This is one of the supplements you can overdose on if you take too much, it damages your kidneys, which you really don't want. If you're already getting enough, then taking extra will encourage kidney stones to form.

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning,
Thank you all who replied to my query about Vitamin D supplements.......Ive just come back from seeing
a Doctor who has managed to get me an appointment with the Nephrology /Kidney) department at the Hospital
in Cartagena for the 7th September......I feel that I must explain that how its happened so quickly is because over
here in Spain you you can make an appointment on-line to see a Doctor or a Nurse.
As its the Holiday season at the moment Surgeries and Hospitals are a lot quieter than usual so thats one of the reasons
for the way its been possible to do it so quickly......the other reason is he requested Priority 1......bit worrying but its
done the trick.........will let you know what happens after the 7th.......once again thanks for your advice.......