no supply of Insulin

Rod Sanders

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
For the second time my surgery and pharmacy have failed, despite 10 days notice, to provide my a prescription. They are closed till 2nd January. I am on a half dose and half food intake. Where can and how can I get hold of some insulin?

• Hug
Reactions: jjraak and Lainie71

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For the second time my surgery and pharmacy have failed, despite 10 days notice, to provide my a prescription. They are closed till 2nd January. I am on a half dose and half food intake. Where can and how can I get hold of some insulin?

I would suggest calling around your local pharmacies to see who has your insulin in stock, then call NHS 111 and ask for an emergency prescription to be sent to the pharmacy which has the insulin in stock.

They would likely just prescribe enough to tide you over until the pharmacy opens.
If, on opening your pharmacy still doesn't have yours in, then collect the paper and shop around. This last part can only work if the insulin was the only thing on the prescription, or if there were other items they haven't been dispensed.

• Useful
Reactions: jjraak

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's unusual for a dr and pharmacy not to be open between Christmas and New Year. Are you in a remote part of the uk?

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I usually ask for insulin from diabetic friends in such cases (although more often they ask for insulin from me ). Have you ever tried telling your doctor that your dose is higher than it actually is and making a supply of insulin for such cases?

Grant_Vicat

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Many years ago I left my diabetes kit on a coach, and only realised when the coach had gone. It was late evening and I went to the nearest hospital which happened to be St Thomas's in London. I told them what had happened and that I was an outpatient of King's College Hospital, London. They phoned through to King's and checked out my details and treatment. Bearing in mind that this was in 1980, well before Google, computers and mobile phones, it was remarkable that I got exactly what I needed 75 minutes later. If all else fails, I would strongly suggest you call in at your local hospital. Good luck!