No / vlc sauces

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
what kind of sauce do you use that are very close to no carb?
Flavored mayo is a fav but I still have this nagging feeling about canola oil not being healthy. My mayo is non gmo expeller pressed canola. I am a sauce ( mayo ) junkie but can’t come up with anything else to put on chicken / turkey salad.

Any ideas?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very surprised that you don't make your own mayo with avocado oil...!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Very surprised that you don't make your own mayo with avocado oil...!
Haha. I’ve tried it. It’s gross!,, some funky after taste. Bought some store bought and was sweet with the funky aftertaste so double bad.
Sure wish I could do dairy and alfredo!!! Basil pesto might work. But not gooey!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha. I’ve tried it. It’s gross!,, some funky after taste. Bought some store bought and was sweet with the funky aftertaste so double bad.
Sure wish I could do dairy and alfredo!!! Basil pesto might work. But not gooey!
oh so that bottle of avocado oil I bought.....

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what kind of sauce do you use that are very close to no carb?
Flavored mayo is a fav but I still have this nagging feeling about canola oil not being healthy. My mayo is non gmo expeller pressed canola. I am a sauce ( mayo ) junkie but can’t come up with anything else to put on chicken / turkey salad.

Any ideas?

Hi @Kristin251,

I also make my own mayo and use macadamia oil, which has a neutral taste. Initially I was quite scared of screwing up the mayo, but making it was much easier than I thought.

Other low-carb options are Caesar's dressing (Cardini's has 1.4 g of carbs), Ranch dressing isn't too bad (Cardini's has 3.1 g of carbs. Sauce Bernaise and sauce Hollandaise are other options (about 4g of carbs).

There are also some pestos (Genovese, Calabrese) with about 5g of carbs -- however, some makers use higher carb ingredients, so I always check the label.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Kristin251,

I also make my own mayo and use macadamia oil, which has a neutral taste. Initially I was quite scared of screwing up the mayo, but making it was much easier than I thought.

Other low-carb options are Caesar's dressing (Cardini's has 1.4 g of carbs), Ranch dressing isn't too bad (Cardini's has 3.1 g of carbs. Sauce Bernaise and sauce Hollandaise are other options (about 4g of carbs).

There are also some pestos (Genovese, Calabrese) with about 5g of carbs -- however, some makers use higher carb ingredients, so I always check the label.
I can’t find anythjing store bought without lousy oils. As fat is my primary macro I try to find the healthiest fuel. Maybe it’s time to kick back and enjoy some non gmo expeller pressed canola mayo. My diet is so limited between D and my stupid stomach I should just do what works. Canola gets such a bad rap everywhere it freaks me out lol.

I LOVE Cardinis Caesar. Best one out there. And I love Parmesan peppercorn but all soybean oil. Arg. I really think it’s impossible for me tomnot eat mayo lol. It does my body good and lipids are stellar.

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can’t find anythjing store bought without lousy oils. As fat is my primary macro I try to find the healthiest fuel. Maybe it’s time to kick back and enjoy some non gmo expeller pressed canola mayo. My diet is so limited between D and my stupid stomach I should just do what works. Canola gets such a bad rap everywhere it freaks me out lol.

I LOVE Cardinis Caesar. Best one out there. And I love Parmesan peppercorn but all soybean oil. Arg. I really think it’s impossible for me tomnot eat mayo lol. It does my body good and lipids are stellar.

Have just had a look at Cardini's Caesar and it says rapeseed oil on the list of ingredients. I admit this is not ideal either, but it seems to have more omega 3s than many other oils.

In general, I agree with you, though, that most store-bought sauces don't have ideal ingredients -- but who has the time to prepare all these at home.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have just had a look at Cardini's Caesar and it says rapeseed oil on the list of ingredients. I admit this is not ideal either, but it seems to have more omega 3s than many other oils.

In general, I agree with you, though, that most store-bought sauces don't have ideal ingredients -- but who has the time to prepare all these at home.
I hang my hat on that too. Better fat profile. And my mayo is non gmo and expeller pressed so at least not mechanically processed.
Funny thing is your hellmanns is rapeseed and mine is soy. We’re always behind the times lol.
With Cardinis it’s easy to moisten the food with water and use less dressing. I often do that at restaurants with salads. Moisten with my cocktail and I need far less dressing for flavors. Oops. Did I say with my cocktail??

I suppose there are FAR worse foods I could eat than mayo but I tend to eat a lot of it lol. IMwill just try cutting back.
I had chicken thighs with a little of my low cEb mushroom gravy, sage and oregano and garlic oil. Very nice. Oh, and a few chopped green beans mixed in. And of course some chopped avo. So only one meal with mayo. It’s easy to avoid when home but my dinner wouldn’t have been as good cold while traveling. I suppose a thermos would work.

Thanks for your help!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hang my hat on that too. Better fat profile. And my mayo is non gmo and expeller pressed so at least not mechanically processed.
Funny thing is your hellmanns is rapeseed and mine is soy. We’re always behind the times lol.
With Cardinis it’s easy to moisten the food with water and use less dressing. I often do that at restaurants with salads. Moisten with my cocktail and I need far less dressing for flavors. Oops. Did I say with my cocktail??

I suppose there are FAR worse foods I could eat than mayo but I tend to eat a lot of it lol. IMwill just try cutting back.
I had chicken thighs with a little of my low cEb mushroom gravy, sage and oregano and garlic oil. Very nice. Oh, and a few chopped green beans mixed in. And of course some chopped avo. So only one meal with mayo. It’s easy to avoid when home but my dinner wouldn’t have been as good cold while traveling. I suppose a thermos would work.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the idea about moistening the salad before putting dressing on it. Never thought of this before. Not sure about the cocktail -- I guess it depends on what's in it. Wine might work.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the idea about moistening the salad before putting dressing on it. Never thought of this before. Not sure about the cocktail -- I guess it depends on what's in it. Wine might work.
generally I’m vodka water with a lemon so no real flavor but it completely cut a down in the need for dressing. Flavor is all there if the lettuce is moist.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was v impressed with some of the dietdoctor recipes for variety and interest.

There are heavenly flavoured butters. Brilliant use of fresh herbs. Several mayo recipes (and if you are making your own mayo base, I think macadamia oil is a nice one). The ones I now use regularly are the wasabi flavoured mayo (Mr B’s fave) and the smoked chipotle one (my fave).

And there is one sauce with capers, anchovies and tuna that goes over sliced chicken breast that is astonishingly good.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was v impressed with some of the dietdoctor recipes for variety and interest.

There are heavenly flavoured butters. Brilliant use of fresh herbs. Several mayo recipes (and if you are making your own mayo base, I think macadamia oil is a nice one). The ones I now use regularly are the wasabi flavoured mayo (Mr B’s fave) and the smoked chipotle one (my fave).

And there is one sauce with capers, anchovies and tuna that goes over sliced chicken breast that is astonishingly good.
Thanks. I’ll check those out.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Everything has dairy or raw egg.

My biggest obstacle was tuna salad. To me it requires mayo.
So I plunged forward and used infused lemon and basil EVOO, green onion, a heap of fresh basil, sea salt and pepper, chopped avo and chopped butter roasted pecans. I can totally do this.