Non-diabetic eye condition spotted at screening?

jodysd6

So this morning I got results of my annual retinopathy screening. The good news was nothing has changed retinopathy wise but at the bottom of the letter it states 'we have noted a non-diabetes related eye issue which may need further assessment, we have written to your GP and suggest you contact them to discuss'. Of course this has arrived on a Saturday of a bank holiday and even if I phone Tuesday they may not have even received letter yet but even though I'm sure it will probably turn out to be nothing not even knowing what they think they found is driving me crazy! What sort of things can they find? I'm only 32 so things like cataracts are unlikely, but has anyone else had this or know what things it could be? My vision is fine (I'm short sighted but no difference recently) although I did happen to comment to a colleague this week that my eyes have been feeling a bit sore/achy but assuming that's because I work at a computer all day. I'm sure it will be fine but I hate not knowing!

Reactions: Kevin259 and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No it is rather unusual to have any problems with eyes out of the normal like long or short sighted or differences one is born with when being as Young as you are

Dark Horse

There are quite a lot of non-diabetic retinopathy conditions that can be picked up at screening. Some are so urgent that you would have been referred directly to ophthalmology rather than to your GP. Other non-urgent conditions include hypertensive changes, vein occlusions and glaucoma although these are not common in younger patients. Sometimes a naevus may be spotted at screening - this is basically a mole in the retina and is usually benign although patients may be referred to ophthalmology as a precaution to have it monitored yearly for changes.

Try not to worry and let us know how you get on.

Reactions: zand

jodysd6

I'm not too concerned, i'm sure it will turn out to be nothing! My GP surgery phoned today to say bloods last week showed vit D deficient (although she told me number and it seemed fine to me so not too sure but I'm there for annual review next week so can confirm!) and so I asked about the letter but apparently she can't read it to me as she is not medically qualified so apparently a doctor will call tomorrow, at first she said that it said I'd been told but I did say that was just the actual screening result, so I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

jodysd6

Phoned today and GP said he didn't know what it was/meant so he will write to ophthalmology with a copy of the letter and see what they say/if they need to look. He did read out what they had written which I admit I should have probably written down as not sure if exact wording now but something like in left eye there was a new white lesion and where it was but not sure where he said now! When I go to see nurse next week I may see if she can read it out again!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Phoned today and GP said he didn't know what it was/meant so he will write to ophthalmology with a copy of the letter and see what they say/if they need to look. He did read out what they had written which I admit I should have probably written down as not sure if exact wording now but something like in left eye there was a new white lesion and where it was but not sure where he said now! When I go to see nurse next week I may see if she can read it out again!

Jody - You could ask the nurse for a copy of the letter, or take a photo of it on your phone, perhaps.

Fingers crossed for you.

jodysd6

Yes I'll definitely ask again, as I also want a copy of blood results too. I'm sure it will be nothing but hate waiting and not knowing! It's not urgent so I'm guessing it could be a while before I find out!

Jaypee56

This morning I got results of my annual retinopathy screening. The good news was nothing has changed retinopathy wise but at the bottom of the letter it states 'we have noted a non-diabetes related eye issue which may need further assessment, we have written to your GP and suggest you contact them to discuss'. Of course this has arrived on a Saturday of a bank holiday and even if I phone Tuesday they may not have even received letter yet but even though I'm sure it will probably turn out to be nothing not even knowing what they think they found is driving me crazy! What sort of things can they find? I'm only 32 so things like cataracts are unlikely, but has anyone else had this or know what things it could be? My vision is fine (I'm short sighted but no difference recently) although I did happen to comment to a colleague this week that my eyes have been feeling a bit sore/achy but assuming that's because I work at a computer all day. I'm sure it will be fine but I hate not knowing!
Same question for me, too. Except the statement made was up near the top of the results letter. I’m 64

Dark Horse

Same question for me, too. Except the statement made was up near the top of the results letter. I’m 64
Contact your GP. Although the patient results letter just informs you of a non-diabetic eye finding, the results letter to the GP should have more detail.

Reactions: EllieM