Non-diabetic need help?

Mikee5

In the last month I've switched to a lower carbohydrate diet (about 50-70g a day) and experiencing very bad low blood episodes after eating and randomly throughout the day. I would phase out, get disorientated, slur and get dizzy. I can't concentrate or form a sentence. This affects my mental performance at uni. I eat vegetables and fruits, lots of protein and some fat. I don't eat grains or starches and have completely elimated refined sugar from my diet. I've never experience this before the diet change and have had blood tests confirming that I am not a diabetic (a month go before the diet change). Diabetes runs in my family.

So why am I experiencing this? Even after a small meal with vegetables ill start feeling terrible. Should I increase carbs? Introduce more starches? My doctor has been extremely unhelpful and has suggested I add pasta and bread back in my diet and refused another blood test!! Really desperate here

sandyxrssy

Hi mike,
Welcome to the Forum, I am new here Myself.
How many Meals a day? Have you included nuts and Fruit into your Low carb Diet? I suffer with HIgh Blood sugar. But I know When My Mum went onto Low card Diet when she did not have Nuts or fruit mixed in she would get very Low Blood sugar and Get very unsure of where she was and Where she was going Etc...
I am type 2, My Mum was Tyope 1 and lots of family members have type 1 or Type 2. Personally I would ask to see another Doctor and Ask for a Glucose Intollerence test as well. Hope i have helped a little.

Mikee5

sandyxrssy said:
Hi mike,
Welcome to the Forum, I am new here Myself.
How many Meals a day? Have you included nuts and Fruit into your Low carb Diet? I suffer with HIgh Blood sugar. But I know When My Mum went onto Low card Diet when she did not have Nuts or fruit mixed in she would get very Low Blood sugar and Get very unsure of where she was and Where she was going Etc...
I am type 2, My Mum was Tyope 1 and lots of family members have type 1 or Type 2. Personally I would ask to see another Doctor and Ask for a Glucose Intollerence test as well. Hope i have helped a little.

I've only just incorporated some berries yesterday which have improved my symptoms but I go very easy on them, only a few pieces, about 5g. I don't eat nuts and eat 2-3 meals a day usually with a good amount of protein, carbs and fat.

I'm very careful with the carbs and weight gain, since I want to add them back slowly and test my tolerance. These episodes scare me because I just phase out, I'm not me. :(

ilnar

how much do you weigh?>
are you trying to lose weight?>
you probably arent eating enough at your main meals,
whats your calorie intake?>

A

Anonymous

Mikee5 said:
In the last month I've switched to a lower carbohydrate diet (about 50-70g a day) and experiencing very bad low blood episodes after eating and randomly throughout the day. I would phase out, get disorientated, slur and get dizzy. I can't concentrate or form a sentence. This affects my mental performance at uni. I eat vegetables and fruits, lots of protein and some fat. I don't eat grains or starches and have completely elimated refined sugar from my diet. I've never experience this before the diet change and have had blood tests confirming that I am not a diabetic (a month go before the diet change). Diabetes runs in my family.

So why am I experiencing this? Even after a small meal with vegetables ill start feeling terrible. Should I increase carbs? Introduce more starches? My doctor has been extremely unhelpful and has suggested I add pasta and bread back in my diet and refused another blood test!! Really desperate here

Hi, it's not clear to me why you switched to a lower-carb diet. Is your aim to lose weight?

Mikee5

I am about 8.4 stone and trying to maintain. I started out at 10. I eat more calories now, about 2000-2200. I don't wanna get too technical with my ratios but usually it's 100g protein, 150g fat and 30-35g carbs.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a bit puzzled also about why you have started this regime. Is it because since diabetes runs in the family you are taking preemptive action?

Anyone can have a hypo which means low blood sugar. Overdoing it at sports can cause it and the liver will try to compensate but eating is the best way to deal with it.

Looking at your weight etc. I am wondering if, in the words of an old Northern comedian, you are just faint from lack of nourishment.

Eat some carbs and come back here when you actually get diabetes.

A

Anonymous

Mikee5 said:
I am about 8.4 stone and trying to maintain. I started out at 10. I eat more calories now, about 2000-2200. I don't wanna get too technical with my ratios but usually it's 100g protein, 150g fat and 30-35g carbs.

You sound much more in shape than me! I am 14.5 stone (should be 13.5st) approx. 250g carbs per day (most from evening meal), but I hypo frequently after 3 miles or so of walking the dog per day. I skipped my morning and afternoon snacks (toast with marmite or peanut butter)for a couple of days this week and experienced many of the symptoms you describe. I'm back on the snacks now and feel better for it (additional carbs). So, maybe you might consider adjusting the carb ratio a bit (sacrilige on this site of course). I'm afraid I am a pariah as I do not 'do' low-carb so you may get a totally different answer from others.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
gezzathorpe said:
So, maybe you might consider adjusting the carb ratio a bit (sacrilige on this site of course). I'm afraid I am a pariah as I do not 'do' low-carb so you may get a totally different answer from others.

That is not sacrilege. Those of us who have to eat from a menu without certain foods would much rather eat freely (and free) if we could..

We don't do this out of love of the dietary restrictions and we are all coming round your place for dinner tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

Squire Fulwood said:
gezzathorpe said:
So, maybe you might consider adjusting the carb ratio a bit (sacrilige on this site of course). I'm afraid I am a pariah as I do not 'do' low-carb so you may get a totally different answer from others.

That is not sacrilege. Those of us who have to eat from a menu without certain foods would much rather eat freely (and free) if we could..

We don't do this out of love of the dietary restrictions and we are all coming round your place for dinner tomorrow.

I hope your reply is of use to the OP ... at least I know how to spell sacrilege now, so thanks for that.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually Gezza you admonish me on a matter which I think is important.

When I first joined this forum an OP would put up a thread and the old hands used it to argue with each other sometimes to the point where a newbie said that they were never coming back.

Parliament responds through the Speaker. A meeting responds through the chair and I think replies to a thread should be helpful to the OP or at least under their control to some extent.

I responded to you and not the OP. Not a serious issue but I have seen examples where posters have analyzed other posters contributions line by line and have not been constructive. I think that is wrong.

Can I open the other bottle now?

A

Anonymous

Squire Fulwood said:
Actually Gezza you admonish me on a matter which I think is important.

When I first joined this forum an OP would put up a thread and the old hands used it to argue with each other sometimes to the point where a newbie said that they were never coming back.

Parliament responds through the Speaker. A meeting responds through the chair and I think replies to a thread should be helpful to the OP or at least under their control to some extent.

I responded to you and not the OP. Not a serious issue but I have seen examples where posters have analyzed other posters contributions line by line and have not been constructive. I think that is wrong.

Can I open the other bottle now?

No problem. Almost every blog site I have known begins to show certain 'characteristics' over time, e.g the oldies as you say ... I call it "mother hen knows best syndrome" (that'll win me some friends!) Message-based communication is necessary, part of our lives, but 'risky'. Just so you know, I took a 'top-down' approach to my diet by adjusting what I was eating until things (e.g. weight bG etc.) became satisfactory ... no crash diets etc... it was a long, hard struggle that has worked for me. I, fortunately, don't have another other health problems except BP. I have perceived from the lack of responses to my various blogs that I am either downright boring and/or have nothing to say (both of which may be true), or that somehow having good control and readings render my experience irrelevant .... no tears though! That's just my perception of course.