"Normal" HbA1c

JaniceTD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 58y, work full time and am fairly active. I was diagnosed T2 2 yrs ago and am on Insulin and metformin. My Diabetic nurse says my HbA1c of 8.5% is fine and I should continue as I am, but everything I read says it should be 6.5%, and even a 1% drop makes a huge difference to potential diabetic complications. What have others been told?

wiserkurtious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes :P having to eat food in moderation
Ya read most of what I know tbh,6.5% is the magic figure to aim for but for lots this might be more than difficult depending on other health issues so all we can do is try our best and not worry to much ;) stress and worry!!! if only we can eliminate it :) life would be a more jolly place anyways all the best

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 58y, work full time and am fairly active. I was diagnosed T2 2 yrs ago and am on Insulin and metformin. My Diabetic nurse says my HbA1c of 8.5% is fine and I should continue as I am, but everything I read says it should be 6.5%, and even a 1% drop makes a huge difference to potential diabetic complications. What have others been told?

Are you type 1 or 2 Janice, you say 2 here but profile states 1 ... think it has a bearing on the advice others might share. I'm type 2 and aiming to keep it in the 6s. I've chosen to follow LCHF diet which works for me. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me (I'm just a newbie) can share their experience and advice on what we should be aiming for with our HbA1c.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Doctors tend to follow the nice guidelines on Diabetic care where it states that if BG levels are kept to low there is a greater risk of fatal Hypoglycaemic episodes so they prefer you to keep your HbA1c at 7 or 8%.

JaniceTD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you type 1 or 2 Janice, you say 2 here but profile states 1 ... think it has a bearing on the advice others might share. I'm type 2 and aiming to keep it in the 6s. I've chosen to follow LCHF diet which works for me. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me (I'm just a newbie) can share their experience and advice on what we should be aiming for with our HbA1c.
Thanks guys, yes I am Type 2 (put that on profile, dont know why it says T1). Have had long standing high blood sugar since pancreatitis in my 20s, but only treated for last 2 yrs. I am trying the LCHF diet too as I have put on a lot of weight on insulin and find it difficult to lose.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are type 2, have a read of www.bloodsugar101.com for some info on how, and why a lower HbA1c may/will reduce the risk of complications.

It sure convinced me!

But I am not on insulin, with the inherent risk of insulin triggered hypos. So in your place I would be especially careful with any attempts to rapidly reduce your HbA1c. Maybe get some advice from insulin users? :)