Nose bleeds

Laurenjr3012

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was wondering if anyone can help me I am type 1 and recently I have been getting lots of nose bleeds about 20 a week which equal to about 3-4 a day my blood sugars are well under control but I don't know if it's diabetes related has anyone else had a similar problem?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had some stonking bleeds in the past and never been able to find out what the cause was... one went on for 30 mins and finally went up to A&E and they didn't do too much... pressure. Wondered about BP but that's been pretty good for me..
Nose bleeds seem to be another area GP's know very little about in my experience.
Wish you well.
Hj

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I was wondering if anyone can help me I am type 1 and recently I have been getting lots of nose bleeds about 20 a week which equal to about 3-4 a day my blood sugars are well under control but I don't know if it's diabetes related has anyone else had a similar problem?
In our family we are prone to nose bleeds...for one reason or other. My usual reason is lack of sleep. Few years ago I ended up spending weekend in hospital, I was just getting over from bad cold AND had not slept much all week....lethal cocktail.
Have you had your iron levels and blood pressure checked? ..those are triggers for my parents.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've suffered intermittently since I was a small (non-diabetic) child with spells of bad nose bleeds, so mine have never been diabetes related. Some foods can act as blood thinners, and cinnamon, which is one of these, will often start me off if I'm consuming it in any quantity - it's a favourite spice of mine unfortunately... But sometimes things such as stress or just a bout of heavy sneezing will also start mine off, and I used to joke with my GP that it was also a way for my body to try to reduce my somewhat high blood pressure.:wideyed:

@hankjam - it's not unusual for mine last a good half hour...

Robbity