Not all reversible

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
O am type 2 since Nov 2016 on insulin since Nov 2018 and have been told I am in the 10 percent range where I developed for unsure reasons may be linked to me having infectious hepatitis as a child as they are both an autoimmune diseases therefore controllable but not reversible . My diagnosis was not down running in the family, being overweight or of ethnicity, I like this forum but I am finding hard to find many people who have not been diagnosed due to there former lifestyle

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doesn’t that depend hugely on your definition of controllable and reversible? Many of us type 2 feel we can control but not reverse/cure. Quite a number were not obese nor family related.

The press and some medics like to blame lifestyle but it’s really not that simple. Many poor lifestyles do not result in diabetes. There surely must be a genetic element whether inherited or a new mutation due to other reasons.

Regardless of cause we can have some degree of control as a type 2 with our future diet and lifestyle. We can eat and do the things that encourage lower levels of glucose and insulin and avoid those things that raise those levels. It’s not a cure but it is control.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T1 is an autoimmune disease, but T2 is a metabolic disorder which often causes obesity years before diagnosis.

Reactions: jjraak and HSSS

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doesn’t that depend hugely on your definition of controllable and reversible? Many of us type 2 feel we can control but not reverse/cure. Quite a number were not obese nor family related.

The press and some medics like to blame lifestyle but it’s really not that simple. Many poor lifestyles do not result in diabetes. There surely must be a genetic element whether inherited or a new mutation due to other reasons.

Regardless of cause we can have some degree of control as a type 2 with our future diet and lifestyle. We can eat and do the things that encourage lower levels of glucose and insulin and avoid those things that raise those levels. It’s not a cure but it is control.
Yes I agree but a lot of people think you can alter your lifestyle/eating habits and come off medication and in my case this is not to be as I was likely to be prone to diabetes due to my childhood illness and therefore the likelihood of me ever being medication free is minimal

Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree but a lot of people think you can alter your lifestyle/eating habits and come off medication and in my case this is not to be as I was likely to be prone to diabetes due to my childhood illness and therefore the likelihood of me ever being medication free is minimal

In your shoes I wouldn’t be so quick to assume that unless I had tried and proved that theory. Unless of course you aren’t actually a type 2 but possibly another type. Do you produce too much or not enough insulin? Unlikely to have been established on the nhs I’m sad to say.

Many T2 have a genetic propensity or a concurrent illness or a lifestyle that tips the balance. How we deal with that situation - regardless of how it’s caused - effects what happens next.

Type 1 have no option than medication as they don’t produce insulin or not enough (and possibly the type 3’s that I know next to nothing about but understand they are like a type one but caused by external influence rather than internal).

Type 2 have more flexibility. We generally produce too much insulin and have high glucose in response to carbs because we fail to respond to the insulin typically. Reduce the need for insulin (self produced or injected) reduce the problem. Adding more and more insulin whilst maintaining demand (eating high carbs) seems counterintuitive and fuelling the problem by adding to our insulin resistance. Ultimately I understand our bodies may give up, almost as if in exhaustion, producing our own insulin therefore need it by injection so nothing I say means that I don’t accept that in some cases it’s necessary but I genuinely believe many type 2 are put on insulin when there are other options still available .

Reactions: jjraak

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Out of interest have you tried anything other than medication? Do you want to?

Many people are given limited, or out of date information about their diabetes. I have no way of knowing if you are or aren’t one of them but it is common.

If you want a path other than the one you are on then self education is the key to understanding, choosing and executing alternative treatment regimes - hopefully with the cooperation of your medical team but unfortunately this is not always the case as we can often end up better informed on this one specific topic than a long ago or minimally taught or disinterested medic.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @HSSS. Are there things in your lifestyle that you can change? My husband is slim too but there's lots he could change in his diet if he was diagnosed T2. I think many doctors still believe that obesity causes T2 when in fact it may simply be a symptom of T2.

Reactions: HSSS and ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
That is most likely.
A few insulin dependant type2s face similiar.

How far have you experimented with your diet to discover your best or least medicated control?
There is no pressure from me but if you're curious be extra careful due to insulin taking. Ask your DN to support you?
Insulin resistance is what can cause diabetes to be progressive.
Getting your IR to its best also assists with reducing autoimmune flare ups.

We insulin taking type2s are complicated patients, hense the only treatment for life saving is injected insulin, initially.

Myself I like assisting my medical team to achieve the very best for my conditions. If they believe I'm worth the effort, I must be.
Good medical support has made a huge difference for me. You?

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am not sure what you mean by infectious hepatitis, several types of hepatitis are infectious, A,B,C,D,E,G and possibly F (if it actually exists) for example, but none of them are autoimmune or they wouldn't be infectious, they are all viral.
My T2 was due to lifestyle for sure, too many 'healthy' (ha!) carbohydrates was my problem. I loved pulses and whole grains and fruit and ate them religiously whilst congratulating myself on how healthy it all was. When I was diagnosed I learnt better and did something about it. I think you can improve your blood sugar levels too. Perhaps you can't make it go away but you can make a difference and that difference might make the long term complications less likely. The past is the past but the future is, at least partly, in your hands.

Reactions: OrsonKartt