Not doing that again!

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted an intro earlier this week, and now just over a week of keeping a very close eye on carbs, and lots and lots of walking I've seen an improvement in blood sugars - fasting, pre and post meals all down by between 2 and 4 mmol/L.

Today I was dating and tried a half scoop of chocolate sorbet when the kids were having ice creams (it is Easter and we are on holiday.) Oh dear, after an hour I felt so ill. Drained and exhausted and just had to sleep. The spike was 11.6, so whilst high, not to ridiculous levels. I imagine it was the big jump from the 6.4 I'd been earlier on in the afternoon, but the effect on the way I felt really shocked me. At least I know never to try that again. And my husband (T1) was very sympathetic having had lots of experience with the symptoms <3

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Polgara ..
You have obviously been doing well in your early "carbing" and control .. so don't beat yourself up over one slip-up. We've all been there and done that .. just put it down to part of the learning curve ;)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
We are all on a learning curve consider it a lesson in your diabetes education. Now you know one more thing to avoid in future.:)

Reactions: Polgara

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
I'm still learning after 11 years never mind a couple of months :) we all react differently and obviously your body doesn't care for chocolate sorbet whereas I would probably get away with such a small amount . Crisps on the other hand are a definite no-no for me. I love feeling clear headed and well but sometimes struggle to keep away from carby treats. After the initial enthusiasm which comes with diagnosis you may well find that you have periods when it's more difficult to stick to low carb for one reason or another. That's where this forum and the support that we find here is so valuable. You already have a great attitude and the understanding of your husband - result!! All the best

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:) I think we all have an 'oh goodness, that was why I felt like that, and why I now I feel so much better!' moment.

I find that it is very motivating, but the memory fades, and then I need another reminder... lol. My last reminder was in the shape of some chocolate, on holiday. :hilarious:

From what I have observed, the more our blood glucose bounces around, high-low-high, the better we are able to cope with it.
But once we start to get control, and our blood glucose settles down to a lower range, we start to really feel it if we go out of that range. :)

Reactions: Prem51 and Polgara

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I pulled myself together, cooked us steak and veg for tea and felt much better after eating it. Just 7.8 2hrs post meal so it's a lesson learnt and move on. @13lizanne I'm sure it's not going to be easy long term. I've read some posts on here this week by people who have only been diagnosed months, and who are sure they have got it all worked out. In the 7 years since my husband was diagnosed T1 I've learnt that just when you think you have diabetes worked out - it'll kick you in the teeth!

Reactions: Prem51

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You're not wrong there @Polgara it's a real roller coaster ride at times. I always think of it this way, it's how you eat most if the time that matters and the odd bump in the road is bound to happen. It sounds like you are on the right track.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I posted an intro earlier this week, and now just over a week of keeping a very close eye on carbs, and lots and lots of walking I've seen an improvement in blood sugars - fasting, pre and post meals all down by between 2 and 4 mmol/L.

Today I was dating and tried a half scoop of chocolate sorbet when the kids were having ice creams (it is Easter and we are on holiday.) Oh dear, after an hour I felt so ill. Drained and exhausted and just had to sleep. The spike was 11.6, so whilst high, not to ridiculous levels. I imagine it was the big jump from the 6.4 I'd been earlier on in the afternoon, but the effect on the way I felt really shocked me. At least I know never to try that again. And my husband (T1) was very sympathetic having had lots of experience with the symptoms <3
I know that feeling all too well. I have had spikes rising from 8 to 19 in as little 35 minutes! The feeling of weakness and drowsiness is distressing. Do lose faith just yet. We all fall into that trap.

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only

Experience is a hard teacher eh?

Don't beat yourself up about it - we've all been there (some more times than others), and very quickly you will build up a mental note of which foods are best avoided completely, which you can eat in moderation or a small amount, and which are fine to eat without issue.

Once you are more confident and know your own bodys responses, you can really make some fantastic meals - don't be lulled into thinking you can only eat a few things.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
we soon learn what makes our levels rise and yes i find being stress always make me reach for something I should nto have grrr

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was back at the ice cream parlour yesterday ( son is autistic and when we are on holiday we have to go every day so he can have a crepe) - I stuck to OK my decaff cappuccino and was fine :)

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes I pig out when we have company or a pot luck.only to follow up with a 16hr fast or a long walk,
I know I am just fooling myself because the damage is already done.

Reactions: Polgara

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes I pig out when we have company or a pot luck.only to follow up with a 16hr fast or a long walk,
I know I am just fooling myself because the damage is already done.
If only it had been a full pig out - it was a half scoop of sorbet!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If only it had been a full pig out - it was a half scoop of sorbet!
Sorbet is the worst - pure sugar and no fat to slow the rise - try a small scoop of ice cream instead you may be surprised:)