not sure what to do!!!

marie.T1

hi all im just wondering what you would do...... i was at work yesterday when i felt my blood sugars dropping i asked a colleagueto cover the tills for a bit her reply was WHY ? i explained to her that my blood sugars were dropping and she started to shout at me saying that she would have to wait for her break. i spoke to my team leader she told me to go and take a break so i ate some food had some lucozade and sat outside to get some air. my colleaggue then come outside shouting again at me because i was outside. i told her that my team leader said it was ok for me to take a break im starting to get mad by this point . i told her that my bgs had dropped to 1.9 and i had to sort them out she said you didnt tell me you were taking a break!!! i told her that is was nothing to do with her when i take my breaks and that if i have a hypo i use my break allowance to sort them out and i dont take any extra time ! my eyes were filliing with tears i was that angry. she said she didnt care that my bgs were low!! my question is should i just let what this woman said to me go or should i report her to the manager?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My feeling is - absolutely, report her to your manager. The woman needs the facts of life explained to her.

Hrw1959

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I would definitely report this incident to the manager. This type of bullying needs to be stopped before it gets worse. You have enough to deal with. Hope this helps.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Report her and request that the staff that you are working alongside get diabetes awareness training, even if you have to do the talk yourself. Every employer has a duty of care for their staff.
Would she have been happier had you stuck it out, eventually collapsed and then an ambulance had been called? I think not. She has got to be made aware of the seriousness of the situation.
Would it be possible for you to carry some glucose tablets or sweets with you in case the situation arises again?
Good luck and stand up for your rights.
Angie

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
With work colleagues like that who needs enemies :thumbdown:

I'd definitely report her to your manager, you could (should you choose) just ask the manager to have a quiet word with her rather than go down the disciplinary route.

Fraddycat

I would definitely speak to your line manager - up to you whether you want to make it formal or informal. You're line manager said it was ok for you to take a break so its none of your colleague's business what you are doing, and you shouldn't have to justify your actions to her, only to your line manager.

You have a right to keep your medical condition confidential, so you didn't even need to explain to her what you were doing - I do understand why you did - but I am just saying its completely none of her business.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Report that person , and I'm not surprised that she is not concerned with your well being.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Crikey in the eighties I worked with a lady with type 1. I was also at school with her but everybody in our Bank branch knew she was type 1 and we all looked out for her. She regularly had hypos but somebody was always on hand to help her and keep an eye out.

I can't believe that 25 years later you are being treated like this. I really do hope they sit everybody down at a staff meeting and give them a run down on diabetes and how to help you, not make you sicker!

Grrrrr.

Ali

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm sure that no workplace allows people to abuse each other!
Does tyou colleague scream at the smokers who get cigarette breaks? this is looked at as normal nowadays and yet it's harmful trto their helth, whilst sorting a hypo is keeping away the need for calling an ambulance. Ask if your health and safety rep could organise a sseminar on workplace health rules.
Hana

sanchia07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Report !! This woman needs some educating, see if you can keep a can of coke or glucose tabkets on you while on the till, your employer has an obligation to look after your health whilst at work!.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello marieT1.
On a practical point and employee level of what you can possibly do.
Do you have a human resources department at your place of work?
It is here , you can put your complaint to them.
They should go through the company grieviance policy then on your behalf.
Hope this helps?
Anna.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, :)
Your team leader did use proper procedures with regard for your health.

Disciplinary action of of any kind would not be advised against your so called work colleague. ( A word in this person's ear may help )

Your bully type colleague should be feeling their guilt right now.

Simple lesson is always make a request for the team leader first, or get a colleague to request leader on your behalf.

Good luck and do not let these idiot's spoil a good atmosphere with other colleagues.

Roy. :)

marie.T1

hi thanks for your replies i have decided not to go to my manager about this but i have spoken to my team leader she asked my collesgue to apoligise to me .which she did i told her that i could have ended up in an ambulance as i was really low i also told her that if it happened again i would go to the manager or higher! lets hope she has learnt her lesson