novo rapid and apidra

Libbyloo

Hi there,

I've not been on the forum for a while as I've been contending with being diagnosed as T1 (originally misdiagnosed as T2) and coeliac.

I was on apidra (breakfast, lunch & dinner) but in the last week have been switched to novo rapid and Levimer (due to the issues around stocks of apidra but also because I have been advised to take levimer as a background due to high morning bgs and the fact that I need a half unit pen as I'm apparently sensitive to insulin due to my low BMI).

I was wondering if anyone else who has recently been switched to novo rapid is finding that they need to take more units than they did with apidra. I know everyone is different but I'm finding that I need more novo rapid units with my lunch than previously with apidra. I'd be grateful for any comments or info.

many thanks,

Libbyloo

Mike1953

Dislikes
Getting old i never thought it would be like this,but i guess most of it is down to my ill health.
Hi Libbyloo
I have t2 diabetes and i have been taken novo rapid and levemir as a background for just over a year.I have 12units in the morning 16 units at lunch time and 28 units with my evening meal,
i then take 40 units of levemir at night. It took me over a year to get this dose right for myself but i find its ok now.
Good luck i hope it all goes well for you
Mike.

jay2506

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for the delayed response - only just seen this.

I was put on Apidra in June and have experienced the supply issues and changed to Novorapid. I have had to slightly increase the dose (not massive just a couple of units per dose).

DSN advised that it would be the case when she swapped me over. Hope that helps put your mind at rest.

Libbyloo

Hi Mike & Jay2506,

Thanks for your replies.
I've been back in touch with the DSN as even when I began to zap in more novo rapid it didn't appear to work that effectively. She was a bit baffled, but I'm now zapping in 2 units of Levemer midday and at night before bedtime (11 pm) which seems to be helping and getting my bgs more levelled out. We think the Levemir may have been running out of steam by the time I ate my dinner at night (approx 7pm) and that may have been why novo rapid wasn't as effective. My unit intake of novo rapid is very small (3 at breakfast, 4 at lunch and either 4 or 5 at dinner depending on the carb content of my meal, and is now similar to the dosages with apidra) as I seem to be really sensitive to insulin which isn't helped by a very low BMI.
I also spoke to the pharmacist who confirmed that the apidra compound is very different to novo rapid even though it does the same job, which may be why having Levemir twice appears to help the nov rapid to work.

Thanks againd and Best Wishes

Libbyloo