Novorapid and snacks

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have to snack between meals. I keep my snack below 10g carbs though and hence don't do additional Novorapid!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Gonna said:
I find I need a snack between meals. Does my before-meal dose of Novorapid cover this? I'm not sure how long it is effective.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

In theory no unless you bolus extra for the snack, if you inject the correct dose for the the previous meal and your basal insulin is right then a snack (depending what it contains) would push bg up.

I don't snack between meals and only do so if my bg starts to fall, if I were to snack then I would need to inject a unit of novorapid to stop my bg climbing, I prefer not to inject inbetween meals as it can become tricky to monitor when your stacking insulin doses.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before diagnosis I didn't used to snack but since I started insulin I'm constantly starving. I stick to slices of ham or a pepperami or a piece of cheese or a small handful of nuts. Things that shouldn't cause a BG spike

iHs

I personally dont see any harm at all in diabetics eating a snack mid morning or mid afternoon if they want to. Before using a pump and using MDI and twice daily, I always had a small snack in order to keep my bg levels levelled out. I often eat a snack now if I need to or want to. I would not like to bolus every time to eat a snack, that's for sure but everyone's different... some are very busy and some are not.

BunnyBabe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Prejudice, Twilight and no snacks :(
I think it's ok to have snacks so long as they are less than 15g in carbs. My favourite snacks are breadsticks with Philadelphia, rice cake, water biscuits or a small packet of crisps :) my doctor told me that novarapid insulin has a fast effect and you can't inject for a later snack as the effect of the insulin will wear off and you don't want to inject too much and go into hypo

Hope this helps :)

type1harley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who say things like "You're Diabetic? Did you eat too much sugar?"
Personally, I take Lantus and NovoRapid. I don't need to inject extra insulin for snacks and I keep them under 19g of sugar. I do not experience any spikes.