Novorapid in the fridge?

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Random question, but can anyone tell me if the effectivity of NovoRapid decreases if it's not regularly kept in the fridge? - I seem to be having quite irractic results at the moment and the only thing I can think is the insulin is becoming far less effective for some reason?

Reactions: Lorraine deer

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
should be OK when in use (and therefore not in the fridge) insulin vials can be used up to 28 days. temperature affects insulin, believe it needs be kept under 30c. also may be worth checking the expiry date on the box?

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Random question, but can anyone tell me if the effectivity of NovoRapid decreases if it's not regularly kept in the fridge? - I seem to be having quite irractic results at the moment and the only thing I can think is the insulin is becoming far less effective for some reason?
well I'm on novorapid and lantus and I never leave it in a fridge. buy your self a small safe.inside the safe buy a cheap lockable cash box.put the insulin into the metal cash box then place it into your metal safe, and place the safe near a wall. youll then notice how cold your insulin can be . exspecially if you have children in your house.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin not in use (ie a pen or a vial that has been opened and used) should be kept in the fridge as insulin only lasts for about a month out of the fridge.

Insulin that is in use should not be kept in the fridge and should be disposed of after about a month/28 days.

@not-so-lucky have you tried reading the patient information leaflet with storage instructions on it that comes with your novorapid? You might want to check if you are actually following the guidance set out in that.

@spaceman flipping heck, are you recommending that instead of keeping insulin in the fridge, as the manufacturers recommend, people keep it in two locked boxes near a wall? What is the guarantee the locked boxed aren't just going to be at room temperature, so the insulin will only last in the double locked boxes for 28 days? What danger is there to children in having insulin in the fridge? Unless you also keep your needles in the fridge what are the going to do with the chilled insulin? Drink it? Apart from probably not tasting very nice drinking it won't actually do them any harm because the stomach acids just destroy the insulin, that's why we have to inject it. Unless you're also locking away your bleach and your beer, locking your insulin away seems a little extreme.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
@not-so-lucky you have made me think today!
I may now start an experiment seeing as it's colder, and my blood sugars are nearer normal.
Insulin generally lasts 28 days at room temperature.
However, I use all 5 pens of both Lantus and NovoRapid within 28 days.
Therefore, I should be able to keep mine out of the fridge...