Novorapid instead of Lantus

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
When I'm feeling philosophical about my mishaps, I assure myself it's a learning process, note what worked and what didn't.

My perfectionist self throws a tantrum and wails loudly I'm an idiot, I've ruined the day, my colour coded spreadsheet won't be all pretty green now (my version of being in range) and I wanted to get on with my day, my planned way, NOW and why won't these flipping numbers just behave and do as I tell them! (I'm fabulous at assuming I can coax blood sugars into good behaviour just as I do with my most difficult students - then I remind myself they all take time to get to the point of working out it's easiest just to do as I tell them, when I tell them, as I'm not going to let them off with poor behaviour.)

Mind you, I have just been out and topped up on my hypo supplies which are all items I like enough to want to drink/eat when I need them but which I don't like the taste of when all is well.

Reactions: Alison54321

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Oh Japes, you sound just like me regarding the control issues but i can only just buy juice and dextro energy tablets because everything else i would eat straightaway.

The sugars are now slowly falling, 9.8 at the moment and ketones 0.1. I wish i wouldn't have to go to the dentist at 3pm but i would have to pay a fine if i would cancel so late. Afterwards i have to take the dogs for a walk. I'm so grateful for the Libre.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh Japes, you sound just like me regarding the control issues but i can only just buy juice and dextro energy tablets because everything else i would eat straightaway.

The sugars are now slowly falling, 9.8 at the moment and ketones 0.1. I wish i wouldn't have to go to the dentist at 3pm but i would have to pay a fine if i would cancel so late. Afterwards i have to take the dogs for a walk. I'm so grateful for the Libre.

9.8 and going down slowly, is pretty good. You could land quite comfortably in range.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Juice and dextro are my basics too. Along with full-sugar Coke which I can't stand when not-hypo but can tolerate fine when hypo. (Just don't ask how this got worked out during my worst mishap... )

And I do totally get the eat anything else straightaway thing which is why I've got some carby things I really don't like in the house, as I can force myself to eat them when medically necessary.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@enzina - post start to the day, but it’s so easily done - I think pretty much all of us insulinators do it at least once! You’ve handled it brilliantly, seriously. Hope all goes well at the dentist xxx

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done on keeping things right after your mistake! Not crazy numbers, no hypo's and there's still three quarters of the weekend left to enjoy!

Reactions: enzina

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wow, that was a crazy ride. I have now put the Lantus and several lancets on the bedside table and strictly NEVER EVER remove it from there. Levels are at 9 but i have just eaten the two croissants i bought at 7am in case i will get much lower :rolleyes: and injected only two units of Novorapid.

So many thanks for all your support, it has helped enormously.

Reactions: Alison54321

ziawattoo54

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read about this error here on the forum and now it happened to me this morning. At 5am i noticed to my horror i have injected 11 units of Novorapid instead of Lantus. I'm taking Lantus now in the morning because of night hypos, at the moment i only have to take 11 units. Usually 4 units of Novorapid before breakfast around 8 am are more than enough for me.

I was drinking 2 glasses of fruit juice, 2 cans of Coca Cola straightaway, ate 2 sliced of bread and also took 4 dextro energy tablets. sugar levels are 7.1 at the moment, 5.5 at waking.

In an hour i have to walk the dogs and in the afternoon i have a dentist appointment. I'm very scared, over the last few days i had quite a few hypos anyway and felt very weak. I'm on my own, i never thought this would happen to me.
It happened to me recently, when I forgot to take my lantus dose before sleeping. And I woke up at 3am in the morning with a severe headache and swelled eyes.
I normally take lantus at 10 pm daily, but that day I had made a delay of 5hrs, and then when I checked my blood sugar it was above 300 mg/dl. After being a little stressed for a while I took over my senses and injected 16 units of humalog (bolus). And then after 30 minutes my sugar level was normal. But to compensate the insulin, I had to take early breakfast and then had to inject about 4 extra units of bolus whole the day long till 10 pm (time for regular basal dose). I skipped basal that day and kept on checking my sugar level and took the bolus and carbs accordingly. And all went well.
So it's up to you now if you want to take lantus or you can manage novarapid and carb intake for one day.
But don't take novarapid and lantus both!!! It may cause hypoglycemia immediately.

Reactions: enzina

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read about this error here on the forum and now it happened to me this morning. At 5am i noticed to my horror i have injected 11 units of Novorapid instead of Lantus. I'm taking Lantus now in the morning because of night hypos, at the moment i only have to take 11 units. Usually 4 units of Novorapid before breakfast around 8 am are more than enough for me.

I was drinking 2 glasses of fruit juice, 2 cans of Coca Cola straightaway, ate 2 sliced of bread and also took 4 dextro energy tablets. sugar levels are 7.1 at the moment, 5.5 at waking.

In an hour i have to walk the dogs and in the afternoon i have a dentist appointment. I'm very scared, over the last few days i had quite a few hypos anyway and felt very weak. I'm on my own, i never thought this would happen to me.
Hi there.
I did the same about 4 months ago whereby I took 15 units of novo rapid instead of treshiba. At first I panicked and then I took action. It didn't help either that it was a Sunday so no contacting my DSN for advice. It proved remarkably easy to cover the 15 by eating a big bowl of crunchy nut at breakfast along with a glass of oj. I kept monitoring had a cappuccino coffee mid morning. Basically I just kept fixing as best I could. It was stressful and a trial but in about 48 hours I was back on track. I now have a big sorry sticker on my pen to remind not to do it again. I can't even advise different colour pens I have a red and blue they are hardly similar unless I had gone colour blind. I was just in my usual rush - no excuses.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Hodders,

Wow, you handled the situation very well! I would have loved the crunchy nut so much, wasn't thinking of buying any. I will put a sorry sticker on the novo rapid pen too.

I'm already back on track, levels are normal again and feel 1000 times better than yesterday. In the afternoon i had a small dental surgery and was worrying about the effect the high glucose might have.

Have a nice Sunday!

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Hodders,

Wow, you handled the situation very well! I would have loved the crunchy nut so much, wasn't thinking of buying any. I will put a sorry sticker on the novo rapid pen too.

I'm already back on track, levels are normal again and feel 1000 times better than yesterday. In the afternoon i had a small dental surgery and was worrying about the effect the high glucose might have.

Have a nice Sunday!
Hi Enzina
Glad to hear you are back on track . Believe me initially I did panic reading all the possibilities of a lovely hospital visit was enough to sort the brain into some logical function.
Take care and enjoy your Sunday too.