Novorapid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on novorapid and lantus for 15ish years and just recently I've discovered that my insulin has taken longer to start to work currently taking between 2 and 3 hours before it starts to work I've had enough of this and I'm demanding to be put onto something else I've just come off lantus for TRESIBA what is a good FAST ACTING INSULIN to take

Reactions: kitedoc

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The only thing faster than NovoRapid to my knowledge is Fiasp. I love the stuff but I know others have had problems with it.

Reactions: Sir Simon Haworth

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Do you know if there's any stronger than novorapid
Your question has made me stand up and listen.
Are you eating any more fat than normal as fat can delay digestion which in turn affects novarapid performance?
I'm on triple strength basal but I'm normally OK with novarapid... as long as meal not too fatty.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been on novorapid and lantus for 15ish years and just recently I've discovered that my insulin has taken longer to start to work currently taking between 2 and 3 hours before it starts to work I've had enough of this and I'm demanding to be put onto something else I've just come off lantus for TRESIBA what is a good FAST ACTING INSULIN to take

The problem with using any bolus insulin. it's like comedy. "Timing?" (I'm a novorapid merchant.)
A higher fat content meal (slowing down digestion.) or multiple course meals may take experimenting with, delaying bolus or dual bolusing depending on personal digestion metabolism? Where as something with faster acting carbs could still peak too soon with injecting the "industry standard" 20 minutes prior, then cause a rapid drop 2 to 3 hours later? (& that's not counting other "variables" thrown into the equation.)
Pumpers (of which i'm not one.) may have a different technique coping with this?

Insulin (Whatever type.) is never just a "magic bullet."

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your question has made me stand up and listen.
Are you eating any more fat than normal as fat can delay digestion which in turn affects novarapid performance?
I'm on triple strength basal but I'm normally OK with novarapid... as long as meal not too fatty.
No I'm on a very low/low fat diet I only eat meat with less than 0.01%fat buffalo, venison, crocodile, camel, I will have dry cured bacon from the local butchers one day a week. I'm trying eating like this so I don't have to take STATINS and run the risk of the fatal heart attack.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I'm on a very low/low fat diet I only eat meat with less than 0.01%fat buffalo, venison, crocodile, camel, I will have dry cured bacon from the local butchers one day a week. I'm trying eating like this so I don't have to take STATINS and run the risk of the fatal heart attack.
You might want to do a bit of reading about saturated fat and heart disease (and there being no link between them).. also that what was once considered bad in terms of cholesterol may have been yet another exercise in misinformation. Or alternatively you may not....

Reactions: Jaylee

alphabeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest, I prefer Humalog over NovoRapid. It works fast, I don't feel my sugar swinging, just stable. I would marry a girl named Humalog :)

Reactions: Sani Thomas

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fiasp - novorapid with a bit of vitamin B3 to encourage the body to absorb it quicker, and the other extra is an amino acid to stabilise things in some way. And not at all to bring it back into patent protection. It does seem to work though.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Do you know if there's any stronger than novorapid
Stronger is a tricky word: Do you mean dose for dose, or more effective at a given time.? Some things to consider, always in discussion with your dsn and/or doctor:
1) If you have not already, perhaps google 'pictures of insulin profiles Fiasp vs Novorapid' to see a comparison of blood sugar lowering effect vs time.
2) The other 'side' of the equation is looking at what your meals consist of: looking perhaps at low carb diets on this site and also looking at 'mendosa.com' and on that site, Glycemic values: this gives the GI and GL of commonly consumed foods. (definitions included). Certain foods will tend to cause earlier BSL rises than others, modifying the foods consumed have helped people moderate the height and timing of their BSL rises
3) On this site, some TIDs have discussed delaying their food intake for say, 1/2 hour or 1 hours after taking insulin like Novorapid to better 'match-up' insulin's blood sugar-lowering effect with the blood sugar rise from the meal.
Please stay cool and flexible.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Try Humalog or Apidra. While rare, I've read about people becoming allergic to an insulin and changing to another one solves the problem.

K

Knikki

@Sir Simon Haworth Like you I was on a Nova Lantus combo until recently as I was finding that after 20 years? Nova was not doing what I wanted.

I've just moved onto Apridra and while it has a similar profile to Nova, you inject it just before you eat or less than 20 minutes after you eat, where as Nova you can inject from 10-45 minutes before eating.

I have found, for me, it works great, it is much quicker and more aggressive than Nova and I am taking less units than I was. For instance, if I do a corrective inject of say, 2 units Apridra it acts and keeps a lid on things, with Nova I was finding that it would be 4 or more units to do the same thing with the inevitable bad hypo that would follow.

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have been on Fiasp for a while now. Find it starts working within 10 mins for me. NovoSluggish didnt start to work for me until around 30 mins. I bolus as I start to eat now, unless it is a fatty food then I will split bolus, but thats another thread :)

Last edited: